Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Exercises Long Enough

A double birthday today (Friday). With three Olympic gold medals between the two athletes, nine years separate their February 25th birth.

Both people set world records in winning their Olympic gold medals.

The older of the two athletes was so nervous during the Olympic competition as shown in this quote, "If I'd had false teeth, I would have swallowed them."

Both athletes hail from English speaking nations.

Neither person competed in field events during the Olympic Games.

The older one is 73 years today and the younger person turns 64 today.

Both people are often considered in the top ten all-time athletes in their events.

The thread's title comes from both of their initials.

Name both of these great Olympic champions.

Re: He Exercises Long Enough

Sure looks like Herb Elliott and Lee Evans to me !

Comment

Very nice work, dukehjsteve! Both Herb Elliott and Lee Evans have birthdays today. Elliott turns 73 this day, while Evans is 64 today.

I've seen both men in the last few years and they both look very fit to me. I never saw Elliott run in person, however I did see Evans set his world record in Mexico City.

Happy birthday to both men.

Comment

Listing them as the top 10 in their events is an understatement. How about Top 2 for both of them? Could be Top 1 for both of them, although many will demur and go with MJ and El G. I'll go with MJ in the 400 but stick with Elliott in the 1,500/mile

Comment

I often wonder what Elliott would have done in the mile had he not retired so early. Also, what he could have accomplished as a full-time runner. He was an amazing athlete.

Comment

Working...
          X