Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Carnes-RIP

I just learned from Keith Brantly that Jimmy Carnes passed away at about noon Saturday.

He had been battling cancer for a few years and succumbed quietly at his home in Gainesville.

A memorial service is tentatively scheduled this upcoming weekend.

Re: Jimmy Carnes-RIP

Sorry to hear that.

Comment

His eldest son Jerry reflects on his dad

http://www.11alive.com/life/community/p ... ersonaDest

Comment

Sometimes I agreed with Jimmy and sometimes I disagreed when he was President of TAC/USA. However, I do give him much credit. Together with a few other NCAA coaches (e.g., Jim Tuppeny, Bob Giegengack, Sam Bell) he helped finally put the NCAA-AAU feuds in the past which was a big step forward. May he rest in peace.

Comment

From his wife, Nanette.

" I did want to let you know that his memorial service will be this Saturday at Trinty United Methodist Church in Gainesville, at 2:00 in the afternoon. We are asking that flowers not be sent. We would prefer that you honor Jimmy in a way that would be of help to others, as he did all his life.
          We would prefer that you honor Jimmy in a way that would be of help to others, as he did all his life. We are going to establish a scholarship in his name at our alma mater, Mercer University in Macon, Georgia. As you all know Jimmy always had a project going and during these last months, he was working on a project to build a "wall of fame" for the track athletes at the University of Florida. The details of that project have not been finalized, but we are hoping to put something on campus that will honor the athletes as well as Jimmy. If you are interested in donating to that, let me know and I will send you further information. I want to thank you all for your friendship to Jimmy and the concern so many of you have shown to him over these past few years. It meant more to him than you will ever know. If you would like to contact me, my address is [email protected]. Our home address is 2719 NW 24 Way, Gainesville, Fl. 32605.
          Nanette"

Comment

Working...
          X