Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great flame-outs

Who were the greatest sprinters and weight athletes to try their luck at professional football and fail? What schools did they attend?

Re: Great flame-outs

Jim Hines was a bust with the Dolphins. So was Nehemiah with the 49'ers. Not that competed in track but Lou Ferrigno tried out for the Toronto Argonaughts and was cut........

Comment

I think it was said of Frank Budd that he had "9 flat speed and 12 flat hands."

Comment

No, that was Jimmy "Oops" Hines.

Comment

Nehemiah a bust? I don't think so. Relative to a WR-setting track career perhaps, but he lasted 5 years in the NFL (a league where average length of career is now 3.3) and won a Super Bowl ring. Caught 4 TD passes from Joe Montana, which is at least 6 more than you and I caught together :-)

Comment

Vince Matthews tried out for pro football, didn't go well.

Comment

Could the perception that Nehemiah was a FB bust be because so many of us had come to expect perfection. Personally, I have never seen a more fluid and impressive athlete. Somehow, as disappointed as I was that he was leaving t&f, I ignorantly expected Skeets to dominate football, even without an extensive background.

Comment

let's turn it around... who is the greatest doubler in football and track ?

if a 10 is Jesse Owens in Track for example, and Johnny Unitas in Football for example, who comes closest to 20 combined ? ( and those two would be a 10=0+10 and a 0+10=10 )since Jesse never played football ( except maybe HS ) and am quite sure Johnny never did T&F.)

couple of quickies w/o even thinking:

OJ
                Mike Carter
                Hugh McElhenney
                Ollie Matson
                Earl McCullouch
                etc.
                etc.

Comment

Clearly Bob Hayes. Greatest sprinter ever and changed the whole nature of the game of football.

Comment

Reggie Torian was the saddest example that not every great sprinter can play football. It destroyed his career.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

HJSteve,

I'll give my pat answer that I think many overlook on this topic: Rod Woodson. One of the best DB's/kick returners, and finalist in '84 OT high hurdles. Michael Carter would definitely have to be considered. Both would score high using your scale.

Comment

good comments, plus being a Hoosier I like Woodson. And Garry, perhaps you are giving Hayes too high a grade in the football part ?

Comment

Jon OGDEN ,FOOTBALL all-pro was NCAA shot champ indoors at UCLA Sunburned Satch

Comment

Alot was expected of Nehemiah, so that's why I considered him a bust. He had about an average career and won the big one. These days it's harder then ever for a pure sprinter to make the league as every team is now full of collegiate level sprinters in the speed positions. Back in the 60's the fast athelete was more of a novelty this is probably why the Cowboys started their winning tradition as they realized the fast player was an under utilitzed weapon.

Comment

>good comments, plus being a Hoosier I like Woodson. And Garry, perhaps you are
                              >giving Hayes too high a grade in the football part ?>>

I googled a combination of "Bob Hayes" and "changed the game of football" and got no fewer than 494 citations.

Comment

Working...
                              X