X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrbowie
    replied
    Re: Great flame-outs

University of Texas sprinter Dean Smith. Tried pro football, washed out.

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied

John Carlos...Philadelphia Yiggles. Henry Carr did better than most ...had a 3 year career and a 101 yard interception return to his credit. Ron Brown was a decent pro with the LA Rams. Not a flame out but sadly, Stone Johnson (Rome '60 Oly 200m final) died as a result of a neck injury suffered on the playing field while a member of the Kansas City Chiefs.

cman

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied

No one has addressed the original quesion of why sprinters and weight-lifters are such a flame out in the NFL.
    I would guess that it is because the two activiites are actually more different, than alike. Running in a straight line and lifting weights in one direction apparentely have little carry-over to the football field, where coordination, lateral movement, leverage, and toughness are more important factors?

Leave a comment:

• Grazerism
    replied

No one's mentioned Hayes as kickoff and punt returner. Pretty amazing. Though he dropped a lot of balls as well.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied

The next great flame-out coming soon to a team near you - Tyree Washington.

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    replied

warp10 includes Vince Matthews in the list of great flameouts of tracksters failing in their bids to make it in pro football, If I recall correctly from his bio (it's on my shelf and I'm too lazy to look it up), he tried out for the Redskins because he'd heard that they had a pipeline into a National Guard unit for their players (late 60's, Viet Nam, etc.). Ultimately it was an ulcer that kept him out.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan
    replied

>Off topic, but I just read on CNN that Pat Tillman, the guy who gave up a big NFL contract to join the Rangers, was killed in Afganistan yesterday. I found it incredibly refreshing that he sacrificed huge dollars to live his dream; how tragic that he also made the ultimate sacrifice.

This deserves its own thread. What Tillman did is simply mind boggling in this day of greed and self-centeredness. Plus, he had just gotten married. Remniscent of Ted Williams, who gave up several of his best years (and a shot at Ruth's home run record) to fight in WW II and Korea.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan
    replied

>let's turn it around... who is the greatest doubler in football and track ?

Not the greatest, but still a success was Willie Gault.

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied

So if Bob Hayes is not the greatest track/football combo who can it possibly be?
    I think Garry's logic is unassailable here.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye II
    replied

Garry, You'll get no argument from me on Hayes as a sprinter!

Leave a comment:

• rhymans
    replied

Not quite at Hayes' level but how about Travis Williams - as one of the best ever kick-off returners for Green Bay, as well as a 9.3 sprinter as an 18 year old in '64.

Hayes quality can be seen through Paul Zimmerman's column at SI on prospective NFL hall of famers earlier this year - even though he didn't make it this time.

Would Al Blozis have measured up to Michael Carter as a lineman/track athlete had the war not intervened ?

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

Off topic, but I just read on CNN that Pat Tillman, the guy who gave up a big NFL contract to join the Rangers, was killed in Afganistan yesterday. I found it incredibly refreshing that he sacrificed huge dollars to live his dream; how tragic that he also made the ultimate sacrifice.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Hayes gets 20 on a scale of 10 as a sprinter, so even if you rate him a 0 in football he gets a perfect score :-)

Leave a comment:

• hj197steve
    replied

that was my thought too buckeye, re Hayes as a football player.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye II
    replied

Gerry, There is no doubt that Hayes made teams change their coverage strategy and even approach to the game, but strictly as a football 'player', what would you rank him 1-10? Andy Messersmith and Curt Flood might have changed baseball more than any others, but would we rank them as all time players for their contribution? Jan Stenerud may have been the overriding reason for the goal posts to be moved back, but does this make him the top player? Hayes contribution cannot be overlooked, but when I think of the top receivers in NFL history, Bob Hayes doesn't come quickly to my mind.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X