X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprint Stat Man
    replied
    Re: Bannister Break 4 min Barrier!

It was an excellent programme - what struck me was how Bannister, Landy and Santee all spoke with such respect for each other. Each ran almost entirely in their own countries, and they had no internet to keep track of each other so each was always waiting to hear that one of the others had gone sub-4.

Chris Chataway described sub-4 as the final hurrah of the amateur, marking the end of that era. Much was made of the contrast between the happy amateur and the likes of Zatopek, with his revolutionary (read "hard") training. Bannister's chances in 1952 OG were said to have been ruined by the addition of an extra round - he wasn't fit enough.

The idea of Sub 4 as the dividing line between the amateur and the modern athlete made sense to me. Even today, a 3:58 miler is seen in a very different light to a 4:02 miler.

Anyway, it was nice to see three wonderful old athletes talking with such respect for each other and obvious delght in their memories. And Wes Santee still runs exactly the same! (there was some footage of him jogging on a track)

Leave a comment:

• highjumpsteve
    replied
    Re: Bannister Break 4 min Barrier!

>Just finished watching BBC TV's programme on Bannister's famous run. Some great
    >footage of Anderson and Haegg, and of Anderson-v- Wooderson in London, 1945.
    >Nice interviews with Landy and Santee. Also, great to see footage of Santee
    >running. Now, here's a question to ponder: which mile record of the sub-4 min
    >era produced the greatest race?

Might depend on how you define "greatest race." In none of them did one guy outlean the other or win by a tiny margin, at least not in my recollection.

That being the case, to mind its the fabled race at Santry Park in Dublin, in 1958, when Elliott obliterated Ibbotson's 3:57.2, with his 3:54.5, with Lincoln second, also well under old record with a 3:55.9, and Delany and somebody else ( Halberg? ) in 3/4 in 3:57.5, only .3 over the old WR. Hart to top that race unless I've forgotten some other race.

Leave a comment:

• FrankS
    started a topic Bannister Break 4 min Barrier!

Bannister Break 4 min Barrier!

Just finished watching BBC TV's programme on Bannister's famous run. Some great footage of Anderson and Haegg, and of Anderson-v- Wooderson in London, 1945. Nice interviews with Landy and Santee. Also, great to see footage of Santee running. Now, here's a question to ponder: which mile record of the sub-4 min era produced the greatest race?
Working...
X