• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double R Bar
    • Oct 2005
    • Mineral City

NCAA Champion

Our birthday athlete for today (Sunday) won the NCAA championship the same year he won the Olympic gold medal. Born 96 years ago today, this champion died at the age of 78.

This isn't the first time this person has been honored here and you might know him as a pilot, an engineer, and a long-time teacher.

He was the seventh American to win the Olympic gold medal in his event. Note that I do not count the 1906 Games in Athens. Not counting 1906, 19 Americans have won the gold medal in this event at the Olympic Games.

Some say had our birthday athlete been on the U.S. relay team (along with the Olympic bronze medalist), they would have won the gold medal in the relay. As it was, the U.S. lost the gold medal in the relay by two seconds.

Born and died in California, this Olympic gold medalist's initials remind some of a very good root beer. Can you name this Olympic champion from 75 years ago this coming August 7?
  • LopenUupunut
    • Aug 2007
    • Sleeping in Finland

Re: NCAA Champion

I'm willing to bet that if this messageboard had been around in 1935, and we'd gone through our usual "who will win event X next year" routine, nobody would have picked today's birthday athlete.

Comment

• Double R Bar
      • Oct 2005
      • Mineral City

I certainly don't think I would have picked him. 1936 was his year and before the NCAA championships, he wasn't very well known. Go Bears!

Comment

• no one
        • Oct 2005

one of my HS coaches and a great human being -

Comment

• Double R Bar
          • Oct 2005
          • Mineral City

I take it you went to Sir Francis Drake High School in Marin County, California.

Comment

• dukehjsteve
            • Oct 2005
            • Fishers, IN

OK, the game's over. Time for someone, why not me, to say :

Archie Williams

Comment

• no one
              • Oct 2005

nope - on Sir Francis Drake High School

Riverside Poly in So Cal - I think (pretty sure) he made a 1 yr or so pit stop there. One of my 4 HSs. One would have never known he was who he was - I had to force it out of him - he certainly didn't volunteer anything. I could tell he was a track - MAN

Comment

• Double R Bar
                • Oct 2005
                • Mineral City

Very good, dukehjsteve. It was Archie Williams. By the way, no one, Cordner Nelson (founder of TFN with his brother, Bert) graduated from Riverside Poly High School.

Comment

• no one
                  • Oct 2005

mm - didn't know about Cordner and Riv Poly. Poly has a fairly rich track history - going back and of course the famous Bonds family. Can't recall the names now but I believe they's had several 24'+ long jumpers ... in the day ... well before my day (40s-50s?), in addition to Bonds 25'3"

Comment

Working...
                  X