Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Medal Sweeps by Nation

OK, let's do Olympic medal sweeps by nations. In athletics it has happened 84 times. 79 for men, and 5 for women

1) name the 5 women's events when it happened
    2) name the 9 nations that have had an athletics medal sweep (sorta 8, if you get picky)
    3) name the 2 nations that have had a women's sweep but not a men's
    4) name the 1 nation that had a men's sweep and a women's sweep

Re: Olympic Medal Sweeps by Nation

Slow weekend, I guess.

1) Jamaican women swept the 100 at the last Olympics. I'm guessing that USSR swept some field events at the 1980 Olympics. I seem to recall Ethiopia sweeping a 5000 or 10000, but that may have been the WCs.
    2) US many times, Kenya steeple probably, USSR probably hammer or discus, Finland maybe in distance or javelin, Greece may have swept the first marathon, hmmm...
    3) Probably Jamaica and Ethiopia (?).
    4) USSR probably.

Much wild guessing, so let's see how I did.

Comment

3. i'm going for GDR Pentathlon 76
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
        OK, let's do Olympic medal sweeps by nations. In athletics it has happened 84 times. 79 for men, and 5 for women

2) name the 9 nations that have had an athletics medal sweep (sorta 8, if you get picky)
        1)
        - The Jamaican '08 w100 sweep already mentioned
        - Soviet sweep of w800 in '80 (Olizarenko, Mineyeva, Providokhina)
        - Soviet sweep of wPentathlon in '80 (Tkachenko, Rukavishnikova, Kuragina)
        - Russian sweep of wLJ in '04 (Lebedeva, Simagina, Kotova)
        - East German sweep of wPentathlon in '76 (already mentioned)
        2) USA, Kenya, Finland, Sweden, USSR, Russia, East Germany (working on the other two...)
        3) Jamaica and Russia
        4) USSR

Comment

adding to 2) - UK swept one of the walks in 1908 I think...
          as for 3, I'm not sure - I can't recall any men's sweeps for East Germany either...

(editing again - I think Jamaica and East Germany as given by mump is correct. Russia sort of has a men's sweep since when Finland swept the 2-handed javelin in 1912 we were part of Russia!?)

(editing once more - d'oh!! The other missing country for 2) is Jamaica, obviously!)

Comment

So that means PEN is one of the answers to question 1

i'm pretty sure it happened in 80 as well for USSR when all the results changed completely in the last event and everyone set WR or was that 76 :?

Deffo mens HT in 80 and PV in 88 so USSR is one of the answers to No4

9 nations are US, USSR, JAM, GDR, KEN, have FIN done it in the JT ? i don't think ETH have in wither mens or womens which leaves me at a loss.

Presumably RUS or GER in post soviet era by your clue about being picky but i can't think when it was

3 is JAM and GDR

sorry for being all over the place
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
              Originally posted by bambam

3) Jamaica and Russia
              i think the question may count USSR as RUS so GDR may be the answer to 3) unless GDR men swept, which i don't think ever happened
              i deserve extra credit

Comment

The chronology of this thread is quite a mess, with both me and mump editing all over the place!

Comment

Was there a sweep by the Unified Team in 1992? That might be the parenthetical 9th team, though it was really the former USSR.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                    1)
                    - The Jamaican '08 w100 sweep already mentioned
                    - Soviet sweep of w800 in '80 (Olizarenko, Mineyeva, Providokhina)
                    - Soviet sweep of wPentathlon in '80 (Tkachenko, Rukavishnikova, Kuragina)
                    - Russian sweep of wLJ in '04 (Lebedeva, Simagina, Kotova)
                    - East German sweep of wPentathlon in '76 (already mentioned)
                    2) USA, Kenya, Finland, Sweden, USSR, Russia, East Germany (working on the other two...)
                    3) Jamaica and Russia
                    4) USSR
                    OK, you guys sort of have it, although as said, the editing is all over the place. LopenUupunut is pretty close above. He got the 5 women, but our query must have a mistake, because there are actually 6 women's sweeps, and we did not have 2004 women's long jump for Russia, which adds another nation, making 10 and 3 for women. Missing here is 1952 Soviet Union women's discus throw.

2) sorta correct here - you have Jamaica listed in 3), which is one of the others, and the trick here is that the Unified Team (mentioned by mcgato, I think), swept the men's hammer in 1992. So that makes 9, but now there are 10 - missing the 1908 Great Britain sweep of the 10 mile walk.

3) There are now 3 in this answer - Jamaica and Russia are correct, but so is GDR - 1976 women's pentathlon.

4) USSR is correct.

I gotta check that query problem, but nice work to everybody

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                      Was there a sweep by the Unified Team in 1992? That might be the parenthetical 9th team, though it was really the former USSR.
                      Yup, they swept the men's HT
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                        i'm pretty sure it happened in 80 as well for USSR when all the results changed completely in the last event and everyone set WR or was that 76 :?
                        It was 1980 when Soviet athlete crossed 800m line in first place and broke world record with her score, then teammate crossed line and improved the WR and then third Soviet crossed line and set the (final?) WR for pentathlon.

Comment

US men 1968 400m

Comment

[quote=Vault-emort]
                            Originally posted by "mump boy":356ju3qg
                            It was 1980 when Soviet athlete crossed 800m line in first place and broke world record with her score, then teammate crossed line and improved the WR and then third Soviet crossed line and set the (final?) WR for pentathlon.[/quote:356ju3qg]

I thought so but surely it's the 200m in Pen
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

No, the Pent ended with the 800 back in 1980.

Comment

Working...
                              X