Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet Bob Hayes

If he were around today would he be running with the pack or looking at their back?

Re: Bullet Bob Hayes

Originally posted by Avante
    If he were around today would he be running with the pack or looking at their back?
    Don't get me started!! He has always been my GOAT- till Bolt in 07. It's hard to squeeze him past TGay for #2 A-T, but that's my assessment. King Carl is up there too, even with his 'slow' times . . . :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Originally posted by Avante
      Don't get me started!! He has always been my GOAT- till Bolt in 07. It's hard to squeeze him past TGay for #2 A-T, but that's my assessment. King Carl is up there too, even with his 'slow' times . . . :wink:
      At 26-28 (he's now a pro) on these tracks today with all the others advantages these guys have over those back in the 60's what could the Bullet run as far as times go?

Comment

We will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          We will never know.
          Tru Dat.
          My sneakin' suspicion is that if he had been a training mate of Gay (9.69) today and continued on to 25-26, he'd be slightly better, but not Bolt (9.58) good, so mid 9.6x. Just pure speculation though . . .

Comment

Hayes would be right in the mix with anyone, including Bolt.
            Here's the coaching question, though: Would you try to smooth out that gallomping, run-away train stride that Hayes adopted at full throttle, or just let him run naturally?

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
              Would you try to smooth out that gallomping, run-away train stride that Hayes adopted at full throttle, or just let him run naturally?
              I'm sure any bio-mechanics trained coach today would indeed smooth it out, but I am not convinced it would have made him any faster. How would Michael Johnson have done with a 'correct' forward lean?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                Originally posted by lonewolf
                We will never know.
                Tru Dat.
                My sneakin' suspicion is that if he had been a training mate of Gay (9.69) today and continued on to 25-26, he'd be slightly better, but not Bolt (9.58) good, so mid 9.6x. Just pure speculation though . . .
                When Gay left Arkansas he had a 10.05PR. As we know Hayes was just a college guy back in 64. So at around 21-22 for both Gay was no faster than Hayes despite all the advantages a 2000 sprinter has over those from the 60's. Bob Hayes was a big powerful guy, if the smallish Tyson Gay can thrive (23-30) as a pro why not the more physically imposing Bob Hayes? So I 'm with you....9.65ish. I also agree Hayes isn't running with Bolt.

Comment

I've read on other sites where the sprinting prognosticators have said Hayes was worth a 9.9x Surprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by no one
                    sprinting prognosticators have said Hayes was worth a 9.9x
                    As if!

Comment

'As if' indeed ... putting him in 2nd and 3rd 'heats' for 'all time' run off. I guess surprised is putting it mildly

Comment

I've read on other sites where the sprinting prognosticators have said Hayes was worth a 9.9x Surprised me.
                        You can prognosticate till the cows come home and all you have is a meaningless prognosis.

Comment

I know, I know you can't do this on the net...oh well.

I'm about as sprint savy as anyone else. I saw Bullet Bob run many times. I think a 9.65-9.70 is very realistic. I can name everyone he ever lost to, can those sprint prognosticators? Hell, I can even name the 4x1 team he ran on at FAMU, can those vaunted sprint prog..............

Comment

Lonewolf - my point exactly

Avante - your response makes absolutely no sense at all relative to the other comments. What does being savvy about FAMU have anything to do with what is being discussed. But noted about the self promotion.

Oh by the way: Al Austin, Robert Harris, Robert Paremore and Robert Hayes. And Austin was his HS rival

Comment

Lonewolf - my point exactly

Avante - your response makes absolutely no sense at all relative to the other comments. What does being savvy about FAMU have anything to do with what is being discussed. But noted about the self promotion.
                              I disagree.

My point wasn't about FAMU, it was about knowing about Bob Hayes. And all those who came later. What physical advantages does Tyson Gay have over Bob Hayes, try...none. What he does have is better training, he's older, better tracks, nutrition. As college guys Tyson Gay ran no faster than Bob Hayes. As a pro athlete 25-30 and all the superior everythings enjoyed by these guys today why couldn't a 5-11 190 pounder run with these guys?

Comment

Working...
                              X