X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherlock Holmes
    replied
    Re: Olympic 1,500m - disappointment!

malmo is George Malley, Penn State alum, former American Record holder in the steeplechase (8:21.72 in 1978) with other notable PR's of 1:01:43 in the half marathon and 2:12:23 in the marathon.

Leave a comment:

• runninfool
    replied

I think Mr. Sussex was a competitor of Coe's --

Leave a comment:

• bj1408
    replied

oh...well i have a 14:08 5000M to my credit....it was just the way that some of the prior posts were worded i was under the impression that malmo was a runner that i may have once heard of?

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Uh, YES, that's exactly right! And I've got (somewhere, where are they?) the medals to prove it...

Leave a comment:

• runninfool
    replied

All of us on this board are very accomplished athletes, most of us former Olympians or national-class athletes. Can't you tell? Malmo's just one among many . . .

Leave a comment:

• bj1408
    replied

i have a question here....i am relatively new to the boards and am a huge track fan although i have not been around for too long, i am 24 yrs old.....who is malmo? apparently he was an accomplished runner back in the day?

thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Plod
    replied

>1980 - Most of the world missing!<

Let's see who turned up - Seb Coe, Steve Ovett, Jurgen Straub...

If the "rest of the world, (i.e. the USA)" had shown up, what would the final result in the 1500M have been? Let's see...

1. Seb Coe
    2. Jurgen Straub
    3. Steve Ovett

Maybe Ovett would have been second, who knows?...

Leave a comment:

• Archivist
    replied

Congratulations boys (and I mean BOYS), you made letsrun

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ead=420468

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

>Brian,

Can you tell me what the hell was the point of that post? Malmo is
    >Malmo and isn't likely to change. Yep he can be irritating

So your point is "boys will be boys" so I'm not allowed to scratch an "irritating" itch?
    I'm not trying to change this guy. But the Hell if I'm going to take his name-calling crap without giving him a taste of the same since he obviously can't take what he so freely dishes out.

Everybody cowtows to this guy which is WHY he talks such crap all the time. Staying silent gives him your subtle approval. [Do a search on other boards or on this board and count how many topics he kills. THIS thread lost it when he started the personal stuff after my post on why the Alamosa mile is short.] Once Malmo starts down the negative road, the thread is dead anyway, so why not take him to task on his personal trashing?

With all respect to you for your opinion on this, if you don't like it, don't read it. YOU'RE not the one the guy is trashing--I am. So kindly don't begrudge me responding to him.

Leave a comment:

• Tustin Flash
    replied

Amen!!!

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

Brian,

Can you tell me what the hell was the point of that post? Malmo is Malmo and isn't likely to change. Yep he can be irritating but he's also pretty damn smart and has an obvious love and commitment to athletics. As someone else mentioned earlier there is a kind of morbid fascination reading meltdown posts by people such as yourself but it's getting bloody tedious. Let it go for god's sake.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

Three negatives, I love it.
    Every time you mess with me you rip yourself open and show people what putrid stuff is really inside you.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

Three things: 1) you are nuts 2) you are obsessive 3) you still don't know the difference between jealousy and envy.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

>[Let's confuse things with
    >semantics, okay>]

Brian jeolous/envious is
    >SAT stuff. Too different words.
    >http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/envious.html

Leave it to Malmo to quote an internet that serves his needs over one based on the American Heritage Dictionary.

Here's another for you:
    jealous

adj 1: showing extreme cupidity; painfully desirous of another's advantages; "he was never covetous before he met her"; "jealous of his success and covetous of his possessions"; "envious of their art collection" [syn: covetous, envious] 2: suspicious or unduly suspicious or fearful of being displaced by a rival; "a jealous lover" [syn: green-eyed, overjealous]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Notice the synonym?
    Again, let's confuse the issue with semantics. Same old Malmo: when losing the arguement, blur the issue by changing the subject and/or complain about how the game is played.

The issue is YOU causing trouble by making a personal attack on me about something I went out of my way to make sure I said wasn't about YOU. And then making your usual assumption accusations to try and get out of trouble. I said nothing bad about you, you came back with the "emotional baggage" crap. And, as the man said, the thread went south from there. Just as it always does with Malmo's personal attacks. Look at other threads. I have.

Tell you what: for the sake of eliminating possible future ocurrences others may have to suffer through, let's cut through the rough once and for all regarding what I think of you and why.
    You might be surprised to know that I used to have quite a bit of resepct for you 25 years ago. Not just because of your obvious talent, but because at a time when WSU, UTEP, etc., were loading up on overage foreigners/Kenyans, American collegians had two choices: give up and aim for best American finisher, or train harder and use this foreigner competition to get better themselves. A relative handful of Americans chose the latter--Virgin (despite his complaining), Salazar, Chapa, Padilla, Marsh, McChesney, among others--and became top Internationalists because of that choice.

You, Malmo, were among that handful. I had a lot of respect for your doing that.

But 25 years later, after reading some posts of yours, I went to various message boards and ran a search on you to see what else you'd written. What jumped out was pure attitude. Confrontational, in-your-face, attitude. The kind of stuff you expect from some high school or college kid, but pretty silly from a near 50-year old man. I don't know if you are truly like this in person or if the whole deal is some assumed persona, but it really is annoying and at times disgusting.

What was especially disturbing was the idea that came through in nearly everything you'd written was that because you were a good runner at one time, no one should DARE challenge you on anything. So you'd make some arrogant, sarcastic, abrasive statement, then seem to confidently stand back while the youngsters on the board back up whatever you say and shout the challenger down simply because "you've walked the walk."

As these kids get older they'll realize that world-class running credentials do not necessarily guarantee any level of intelligence, but for now they support you (and anyone else who has run fast) because of who you are--or were, as the case may be.

I think you've gotten a little caught up in that idea. No big deal, you can be whoever or whatever you choose to be--except when it affects ME.

And I think that "caught up in your own image" idea is a big reason why things end up the way they do when someone like me disagrees with you: they get all kinds of made-up crap thrown at them: stalking, emotional baggage, jealous of your 30-years ago running, etc.

Perhaps the most frustrating for you is the level of discussion on this board. No one shouts me down for disagreeing with you and taking issue when you attack me personally. So you end up YELLING!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I don't like about you. Period. You write some good things, and I would never want you to leave this board. But every so often you start playing "message board royalty", get angry at "lesser beings" impertinence, and out comes the sarcasm and personal put-downs (followed later by denial and attempts to confuse the issue).

Like forming the opinion certain people are jerks because they are publicly trashing someone who always beats them, I don't think disliking what I dislike about you is in any way a sign of "emotional baggage" or "jealousy/envy."
    Feel free to believe otherwise, but really, that's all there is to it.

To maintain order on the board, perhaps the best we can do is agree to not comment to each others' posts, since it appears at least one of us has trouble separating ourselves from our emotions when the other is involved...?

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

>[Let's confuse things with
    >semantics, okay>]

Brian jeolous/envious is SAT stuff. Too different words. http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/envious.html

>Might as well. Malmo has lost it completely.

Your Honor, I rest my case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X