• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    Re: 3:59.4 [book] by Bob Phillips

>If Phillips' book is "The Perfect Mile" . . .<

It isn't. The Perfect Mile is by Neal Bascomb and there was a long thread last month on the Current Events Board about this book.

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied

If Phillips' book is "The Perfect Mile", it is available at B&N and probably Borders. Maybe at an indie, if you are so inclined. It got a favorable review in the SF Chronicle last week. In the review section, not sports.

Leave a comment:

• FrankS
    replied

There is yet another "4 minute " book: "Bannister and Beyond" by Jim Denison. Any more?

Leave a comment:

• FrankS
    replied

That should read

www.amazon.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• FrankS
    replied

Two books have come out in the UK recently - both are excellent. Both have very similar titles. a. "3:59.4 - The Quest to Break the 4 Minute Mile"by John Bryant [ this was delivered this morning! ] b. "3:59.4 - The Quest for the 4 Minute Mile" by Bob Phillips.
    They are both certainly worth getting. They both trace the history of miling from the 1800s, with fascinating background info. The Bryant book ends with the breaking of the record, whereas the Phillips book continues the story up the present. I got them both from www. ebay.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• highjumpsteve
    replied

never heard of this book. when was it written, availability, etc. ?

Leave a comment:

• FrankS
    started a topic 3:59.4 [book] by Bob Phillips

3:59.4 [book] by Bob Phillips

This is the book I always wanted to read. The history of the mile race. I have this very romantic feeling for miling in the 1930s, and this captures the period beautifully. Lots of great stats included as well.

p.s. I've never read Cordner Nelson's "The Milers" - but I'd love to!
Working...
X