Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: marita koch 47.60

"Maybe, 47 something?"

ah yes, but then, of course, she would have been accused of cheating. Smart move on her part to stay only 'reasonably' good. :-)

Comment

Mark,

Thank you for replying, I welcome your insight into top flight athletics as a former Olympian and international athlete. I would however like to go back to a point that I aired a while back in another thread, and which I repeat below. Incidentally, can I assure everyone I'm not out to sling mud, I honestly just want clarification on this issue:

"For what little it's worth, I have long assumed that one telltale sign of drug use in the female athlete is the appearance of a masculine-looking voicebox, the side-effect of the consumption of male hormones. Most top women athletes of the eighties exhibited such a characteristic - it is no less common today. Indeed it's rare that a top woman athlete doesn't look like this.

The question I have is this - I'm no medical expert, am I wrong to make the above assumption? It's just that I don't know any women with voiceboxes like that in my personal life, or indeed in any other sphere (short of The Jerry Springer Show), yet they're such a common feature in sport."

I have posted below links to pictures of Kathrin Krabbe, who of course infamously failed a drug test, and also Kathy Cook. To my way of thinking they share the same characteristic around the throat - anyone have any knowledge about this subject? Is there any other way it can be caused, because I have just spent the weekend with a woman whom I can assure you would require psychiatric care if her neck started to appear like that! Indeed, if it were common I suspect plastic surgeons would be making steady money correcting it!

Rog

Krabbe:

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/athletic ... eroID=2682

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/athletic ... eroID=2683

Cook:

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/athletic ... eroID=1495

Comment

Wonder if that thing disappears when they stop running. Could it be from the action of the musculature of the neck when running.
        Or maybe women in training gain a more muscular neck which emphasises their apples. Or maybe both. Regardless Krabbe was one of the best looking women sprinters I have seen, maybe a different story now!?

Comment

To T&FMan,
          I think you are confusion Jarmila's 800 (Munchen which is probably about 500m) with her 400, which was at Helsinki, and I would guarantee that the Oly Stadium is not 500m. I would be suprised if it were 100 meters. Unless, of course, the Baltic is above sea level.

Comment

Oops! You're right. Sorry. Munich is a little over 500 and the Helsinki stadium, of course, can't be much above sea level, and I had the venue of Kratoch's records switched in my mind.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X