Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fantasy 4x1

Regarding the 4x200 Euro team. We might find a place for the great Livio from Torino. Ran 20.5 twice in the Rome 200 when that was a world-rec.

Re the US 4x100 teams. Hayes should run anchor. With Hayes and Lewis there would not be place for Tommie Smith on an A-team.

Comment

Since we've got duelling threads going here, here's my post from the ohter one repeated:

I think my team has to have Tommie Smith on it (and Carlos is a good call too). In the wake of all the recordsetting stuff at Echo Summit and Mexico City, few remember a meet in Victoria between the OT and the OG in which the gold-team-to-be (Greene, Pender, Smith, Hines) ran against Charley Mays, Larry Questad, Carlos and Smith. "Ronnie Ray took the baton with a healthy lead over Carlos but Carlos gobbled it up and Tommie beat Hines on the last leg."

200m guys almost never get their due in the 4x1. Indeed, I'm not sure that the third leg shouldn't be handled by Michael Johnson.

Comment

The 4x1 is not the 100 meters.Tommie Smith could hang with anyone on the anchor of a 4x1 in his time.

How about this 4x1 in Mexico City.......

Charlie Greene
        John Carlos
        Jimmy Hines
        Tommie Smith

I thought about Johnson on one of my USA teams but how do you sit down Calvin Smith and Dennis Mitchell on a third leg?

Comment

The University of Houston alumni could beat an All Star white team.

Stanley Floyd
          Leroy Burrell
          Joe DeLoach
          Carl Lewis

No way a bunch of 10.10/10.20 guys beat that team.........trust me.

Comment

Comment

Rob

Dennis Mitchell is considered by sprint freaks like myself to be the greatest third leg in history.Go ahead ask around there is no "all time 4x1" if he isn't there.........trust me!

Would you have Tim Montgomery the WR holder leading off your all time 4x1 or Jon Drummond? The 4x1 is not the 100 meters.

If Stanley Floyd had ran in the 80 Olympics he beats Wells.He ended up ranked ahead of him in the World ranking anyway.

Sorry man but your "palepower" simply can't hang here.

Comment

Comment

What about the Dream All Jamaican Born team

Ben Johnson
                  Donovan Baily
                  Linford Christie
                  Ramond Stewart (or Donald Quarrie around the bend)
                  20201.jpg

Comment

Now that Jamican born team would beat any U.S. team you could come up with. That was one heck of an idea!!!!

Comment

> My 'white' European team
                      >were all world-ranked #1 or #2 in their day; DeLoach managed what - 8th?

deloach had a 10.03 PB !!!

he was no slouch over 100m !

Comment

Comment

>Eldrick, you really struggle with this concept, don't you?

The teams are
                          >being proposed on their collective merits, with individual runners measured
                          >relative to their peer group of the day, ie. how GOOD they were, not just what
                          >their fastest time was. It's not that difficult to understand, but let me give
                          >you a simple example to try to help you:

Jesse Owens was the best sprinter
                          >of his day, by a wide margin. Yet because it was the 1930s, he 'only' ran
                          >around 10.3. Does that make him an inferior sprinter (in a fantasy team or
                          >race) to today's 'also-rans' who can run 10.2? No, of course not. That is
                          >what Championship record and ranking mean. Using these criteria, Deloach was
                          >still only 8th ranked in the World over 100m (at his best), which means he was
                          >intinsically an inferior sprinter to someone ranked 1st or 2nd - regardless of
                          >the year, and regardless of the time they ran.

Are you getting there yet?

10.03 - what does that say to you ?

(BTW he could run under the most extreme pressue - olympic gold in 19.75 proves it)

this is faster than bozov,mennea (sea-level),ray,etc.

only woronin as a potential on your team has run quicker

the discussion was about your team versus houston & i'm pointing out that deloach had a faster 100m time than anyone on your team - is that too difficult for your brain to get ?

as for ole-timers, i don't have any romantic illusions - athletes today are bigger,fitter,stronger & just plain faster & that's how it will always be

10.3 in the 30's is great, but transfer him to modern day & even with modern training/nutrition he would have been unlikely to break 10.00

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X