Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that the World Championships are finished, we will celebrate the 52nd birthday of an athlete who competed in the first World Championships (Helsinki). Our birthday athlete was born in a city on the southwestern shore of Lake Michigan 52 years ago today (Monday).

This person never won a medal at the World Championships, but did win a high school state title in track and field when Jimmy Carter was our president.

You might remember that this athlete was a NCAA champion. Our birthday person graduated from the first university to win 100 NCAA championships in various sports.

An Olympic champion, this individual set a personal record in winning the gold medal. Rearrange the numbers in the title to discover this personal record. The silver medalist in this event was fifth at the previous Olympic Games.

The man on the $100 bill is the final clue to our mystery birthday athlete for today. Name this Olympic champion with the palindrome birthday (9-5-59).

Re: 1947

I'd like to celebrate this athlete's birthday with a special screwdriver! There was an article in Track and Field News about this athlete going back to train with his high school coach after a poor 1987 season and having trouble with the workouts at first. I asked this athlete about the story (we were both at the 2005 Dwight Stones Asics track camp) and he assured me it was true.

Comment

I had to "research" a bit to divine the answer, so I won't post it.... but for the life of me I don't get the clue about the $ 100 bill.

Comment

Andre Phillips

Comment

Very good, mcgato. Happy birthday yesterday (Monday) to Andre Phillips, winner of the 1988 men's 400 meter hurdles in 47.19. That's over a second faster then the winning time in Daegu.

Today Andre Phillips works at Benjamin Franklin High School in Stockton, California. Of course, Ben Franklin appears on our $100 bill.

Comment

Very clever DoubleBar! Your post also could bring up the question: Why are the best in the wrold in the 400H around a second slower than 20-25 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by lovetorun
              Very clever DoubleBar! Your post also could bring up the question: Why are the best in the wrold in the 400H around a second slower than 20-25 years ago?
              They don't have an Edwin Moses to inspire and motivate to run that one second faster in hopes of being the best.

Comment

Why is the title for this post 1947?

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE
                  To attract the older farts?

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE
                    re-read the OP kd... it was one of the hints.

Comment

Aha!

Comment

Working...
                      X