Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carl in hs ?

Carol was relatively more outstanding as a youth athlete than her brother.

As a high school athlete, I believe that she was better than Jackie Joyner.

When and why did she turn away from competition?

Comment

>hmmm, random capitalizations, resurrected thread . . .

I know that this is not the first time that has happened (with that person). That is worse than me!

Comment

Acccording to Ed Grant's New Jersey High School Track and Field Annual from 1979, he lists Lewis' performances as:

100M-10.5h
        100y-9.5h
        200M-20.9h
        200y-21.5h
        LJ-26'6"
        TJ(!)-45'.75"

and he anchored a 1:28.0 800M relay

And here's an odd one (according to Mr. Grant)....in the Group IV meet, Lewis jumped 24'5.5" jumping off of the wrong foot......

Comment

>>LJ-26'6"
          TJ(!)-45'.75"<<

That has to be the WORST LJ to TJ conversion I have EVER seen. He should have been at least a 55' TJer then.

Comment

I personally attended the 1979 NJ State All-Groups Final. It was the first year that NJ High Schools ran metric distances. He ran 10.5 hand timed which of course set a new All State record in the 100 meters.

Carl ran the same as he always did his whole career. Came from behind at the end, hands open & his facial expression was that of someone jogging.
            Never before had I ever seen somebody run so fast without apparent effort in the 100yd/100 meter sprint.

Comment

In the late 1970s the TJ was only contested in the northern part of NJ. It was not an event in the state meet. As a result it was rarely contested in the south where Carl lived. What I remember about Carl's senior year was that he dominated the the sprints in NJ. His LJ dominated the nation. I thought that it was amazing that his coach at Houston took his technique in the LJ and changed it completely. Within two years he was the main man in the world in that event. Most college coaches would be very content with a 26' jumper coming in and wouldn't change a thing. He went to the right place!

Comment

Working...
              X