Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my favorite interview of all time

Favorite Q&A i ever did for the magazine personally that is; came up because we now have it linked in our historical series on the front page.

The one and only Brillo.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archiv ... _brill.pdf

Re: my favorite interview of all time

Not the Gabester? :wink:

random interview excerpts:

"My daily life when I train seriously is fairly boring from the philistine's point of view. I wake up and do some variations of the yopa "pidgeon," one-legged quad pelican. While I am doing my exercises I heat up some oatmeal gruel, throw in some broiled cow liver, I love its faint urine smell. mmmhhh! I wake up at 3:30am every morning to read Aristotle's Ethics in the original Greek, and then I take a nap at 5am until I wake up at 8:30m. If I have a girlfriend I like to make wild passionate love at 9:45pm and 8:15am respectively."

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

"My daily life when I train seriously is fairly boring from the philistine's point of view. I wake up and do some variations of the yopa "pidgeon," one-legged quad pelican. While I am doing my exercises I heat up some oatmeal gruel, throw in some broiled cow liver, I love its faint urine smell. mmmhhh! I wake up at 3:30am every morning to read Aristotle's Ethics in the original Greek, and then I take a nap at 5am until I wake up at 8:30m. If I have a girlfriend I like to make wild passionate love at 9:45pm and 8:15am respectively."
      Who's the Gabester?

Comment

Originally posted by Rog
        Who's the Gabester?
        Debbie Brill's kindred spirit, Gabe Jennings (USA's free-spirit miler of the previous decade).

i like Debbie's comments on the 'human animal'.

Comment

Not track and field, but current, this has to be the most over-the-top sports interview ever.
          Bobby Martinez is one of the best surfers on earth, but he seems a bit unhappy about the way the pro surf tour is structured and he is not very delicate nor eloquent in expressing his dismay. Neither does he care about his professional future.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
            Hysterical!! Not very circumspect, are he? :lol: On the other hand he doesn't give a

**[expletive deleted]**

what I think! :wink:

Comment

I read this article when it came out. I remember the "Brill Bend".
              1) Why is this your favorite QA, is it the outcome of the article or process obtaining the article.
              2) I think both the picture and the article depict melancholy.
              3) What is Debbie Brill doing now?

Comment

I first saw a teen-age Debbie Brill doing the flop at the Calgary Indoor in the winter of 1968. Don't remember the height but I think she won the W HJ. This was about two months after the Mexico City Olympics but the story at the time was she had developed this technique without any knowledge of Fosbury.

Comment

I saw Brill jump in Oslo during the summer of '68. She was traveling with a Canadian team that competed in some dual meets with Sweden and Norway. I did not watch the High jump but I could see there was a Canadian woman jumping in a strange backwards style. Not very effective and she did not clear 5ft. It looked rather awkward.

At that time I just knew that Fosbury jumped backwards but I had not seen any pictures and had only read about it in T&FN.

Years later after I had moved to Vancouver I got to know Brill. She often shows up at meets and I never miss a chance to talk HJ with her.

In addition to indoor WR she set numerous Masters records in the HJ. These days she does not jump anymore. But at age 58 she certainly looks like she could. She looks terrific as she always did.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Favorite Q&A i ever did for the magazine personally that is; came up because we now have it linked in our historical series on the front page.

The one and only Brillo.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archiv ... _brill.pdf

[Voice rising at end] Is that a bit of a crush I'm sensing...?

Don't worry, we won't inform the Beauteous Babs.
                    ;]

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

LOL!

(Of course, I'm going to try some of these things...!)

Comment

Debbie was probably the star of the first international meet I ever attended. It was December 77 and followed the long-defunct Pacific Conference Games. At the PCG meet in Canberra, Brill had won with 1.88 (from memory) and then the athletes competed in a series of satellite meets around Australia.

Most of the internationals (and Aussies for that matter) didn't take the satellite meets (or the Games in some cases) at all seriously and there were very few good results. But the women's HJ in Adelaide was by far the best event.

The Australian record of 1.835m had stood for over 13 years and at this meet Chris Annison (later Stanton) went over 1.84, 1.86 and then 1.88. But Debbie won the event with an all-comer's record of (I think) 1.90.

I still have the programme somewhere in the garage with my hand-written notes 'WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brill-i-ant High Jumping'

Comment

According to wikipedia, Debbie did later marry - although not to Greg Ray. It doesn't say much about her post-1984.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                            According to wikipedia, Debbie did later marry - although not to Greg Ray. It doesn't say much about her post-1984.
                            After 1984 there were just endless injuries and surgeries. She felt her body could not keep up anymore. She retired in 1988 but did not go to Seoul despite having the "A" standard of 1.91.

I think the U.S. Champs that year was her last meet.

Comment

The Allen Iverson practice interview.

Comment

Working...
                              X