Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding Eleven Angry Hawks

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to two Olympic champions. Both athletes won their Olympic gold medals in running events.

Athlete "A" was born 131 years ago today while athlete "B" was born 37 years ago this day.

Together, both athletes won a total of five Olympic gold medals. Athlete "A" won three Olympic gold medals and was often called the "Milwaukee Meteor".

Athlete "B" won three World Indoor Championship gold medals and four World Outdoor Championship gold medals. Athlete "A" never competed in a "World Championships".

If you are wondering what eleven angry hawks have to do with these runners, then take the first letter of their initials and you will discover the answer.

Who are these Olympic champions born on the fourteenth day of September?

Re: Hiding Eleven Angry Hawks

Good golly, I couldn't even find A with research ! Thought it might be Meyer Prinstein but no dice.

Comment

A also coached and was the author of a well-known "How to" book.

Comment

Meyer Prinstein was an Olympic gold medalist in the long jump (winning by almost half a meter). Our mystery birthday athletes are runners. Yes, dj is correct about athlete "A" as an author. Athlete "B" comes first in the headline above. Athlete "B" holds a current world record. Athlete "A" does not hold a current world record (that I know about).

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar
          Athlete "B" holds a current world record.
          Can I pounce? I think this narrows it down to El G. But I'm not sure where the eleven angry hawks comes in? HEG or HE ?

I have no idea about athlete A.

Comment

Archie Hahn
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
              Archie Hahn
              "How To Sprint" from the Spalding Green Book series.
              Coached at Princeton and Virginia.

Comment

My first thought was Hahn, but when I researched to corroborate, I only found 2 gold medals for him.... but now that I think twice, did not they run a 60 meter dash as well ? And if so it's not listed in my almanac.

Comment

Very good Daisy, it was Hicham El Guerrouj (37 yesterday) and great job, Powell, you got Archie Hahn (born 131 years ago yesterday).

Hiding Eleven, the initials of HE, and Angry Hawks, the initials of AH.

Yes, Hahn won three Olympic gold medals which includes the 60 meter dash they use to run in the Olympic Games.

Thanks, dj, for the title of Archie's book on sprinting. He did coach at Princeton and Virginia. Basically, his book said if you want to be a sprinter, run fast. Just kidding, I forgot the start and don't ease up at the finish.

Nice work Daisy, Powell, and dj.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    My first thought was Hahn, but when I researched to corroborate, I only found 2 gold medals for him.... but now that I think twice, did not they run a 60 meter dash as well ? And if so it's not listed in my almanac.
                    Hahn actually won four golds: the 1904 100 and 200, which people commonly know. But he also won the 1904 60 and the 1906 100. I don't know which was the "third" gold doubleRbar was thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                      I don't know which was the "third" gold doubleRbar was thinking of.
                      The 60 dash.

Originally posted by DoubleRBar
                      Yes, Hahn won three Olympic gold medals which includes the 60 meter dash they use to run in the Olympic Games.
                      So the real question is which of the other three did he miss?

Comment

I never count the 1906 "Olympics" even though I know they were a real Olympic Games. I prefer to count only every four years.

Comment

Working...
                        X