Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFN cover trivia

What year was the last time a black and white photo was used for the cover for TFN?
    Name the athlete.

Re: TFN cover trivia

In the early 70s there were some issues that added one 'other' color to the B&W, but I very vividly remember getting the 1972 Oly Preview issue and thinking I had died and gone to heaven - full color photography!

Whoever the last 'old' guy was has been deleted from my HD (now a SSD (solid-state drive, or, in my case, Slightly Sad Dementia))

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      In the early 70s there were some issues that added one 'other' color to the B&W, but I very vividly remember getting the 1972 Oly Preview issue and thinking I had died and gone to heaven - full color photography!
      I can imagine the surprise. Not quite the same, but I can remember seeing a color TV for the first time in 1973. Someone near us had bought one for Princess Anne's wedding. The whole neighborhood packed around the TV.

And by the way, there were B&W photo's used after the first full color cover.

Comment

Was it Wilson Waigwa? 1977.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar
          Close. There have been two others since then. Three, if you count one that is not a person.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
            Close. There have been two others since then. Three, if you count one that is not a person.
            Late '80s. The Coliseum during a Pac-10 decathlon: "What if they gave a track meet and nobody came?"

Comment

But there's a single person on a cover that came out later than that.

Comment

I think Jesse Owens was on either the end of the century issue or the 50th anniversary issue. In black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                  I think Jesse Owens was on either the end of the century issue or the 50th anniversary issue. In black and white.
                  A winner. And the Coliseum one is the 'non person'.

Anyone remember the athlete between Waigwa (1977) and Owens (2000)?

And try this link to browse them all!

Comment

Roger Bannister?

Comment

Roger Bannister?
                      Another winner! Bannister (1994)

Comment

Working...
                      X