Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old 100 M recalled

http://mb8.theinsiders.com/fgridscapefr ... 7089.topic You have to register for this Tennessee site now. Only takes a minute. Talk was about the speed of a football recruit compared to some others with actual world class speed.

Cokers 10.95 not sprinter speed. Saw Carl Lewis in Knoxville
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    for Dogwood relays in an unbelievable 100 meters. Hershel Walker,Harvey Glance,Jeff Phillips,Carl Lewis head to head at night. Carl was at the peak of his career. Jeff Phillips at 6'1" or so and around 200 lbs was unbelievable. He had beaten Carl in Houston earlier in the year I believe. Jeff looked like a mack truck coming out of the gate, however by the 40 meter mark he was clearly 10 meters ahead of the field. When they got to the 70 meter mark he still led Lewis big but like DAD1 pointed out 70 meters to the finish Carl caught Phillips at the finish. This was at night and Phillips time showed something like 9.74 and Lewis 9.76 both way under the World record at that time. However a photo finish showed Lewis had an Eye lash win. Their times were changed or adjusted because the times were hand since the electronic had failed. Carls time I believe was adjusted to 9.94 and Phillips to 9.95 both near world record and I believe the best time in the World that year. I will never forget that as long as I live. Glance was in the Twilight of his career. Hershel was fast but no match for Lewis and Phillips. Phillips did another miraculous thing. With only 30 minutes rest he came back and won the 200 meters against World class competition. Coker has great acceleration and quickness as evidenced by his 40 time. I am extremely excited about Coker and we dont know of the wind ,surface or anything so Coker may be a future 100 meters guy.

BillVol
    All-AMERICAN
    (5/10/04 11:19:02 am)
    Reply | Edit Track talk!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good stuff, Memphis East! Memphis East is a track dynasty itself, of course!

Edited by: BillVol at: 5/10/04 11:49:09 am

CoastalVol
    Player of the Week
    (5/10/04 11:35:57 am)
    Reply I was at that race!
    I remember leaving the track thinking there was no way Lewis beat out Phillips. Even after I saw the slo-mo on the news later that night, I was not convinced. What a great race it was. Also remember seeing Renaldo Neimiah (sp?) in the Dogwoods, maybe that same year.

Re: Old 100 M recalled

Comment

Although I'm not usually quite so pointed as Rob I will admit to sniggering at that report as well!

Comment

Comment

That's better than sometimes a trifle jingoistic, isn't it? LOL!

Comment

Comment

I've had a *quick* look through my files and books and I can't find this race. I have no record of Carl Lewis running at DWR; for him, Glance, Phillips and Walker to have been in the race it must have been in 1981 or 1982 but I don't have DWR results for those years.

In 1982 Phillips ran 9.8h at the Tom Black Classic in Knoxville (May 22), but Lewis wasn't in that race and Phillips won by at least 0.3. This is the only candidate I have for a fast Knoxville meet with no auto-timing. Phillips won the same race the year before, 10.26-10.27 over Mike Miller.

Lewis out-leaned Phillips 9.99w-10.00w at the NCAA in Baton Rouge in 1981. Mel Lattany was 3rd in 10.06w, Eric Brown 4th in 10.20w. That is the only close race between the two I can find.

Bit of a mystery. Not that it matters, I was just curious.

Comment

i'll do some digging on this... i thought carl only ran nationals at TBT...

What did the USATF used to be called BTW. Was it "The Athletics Congress"? "TAC"?

Comment

I'm assuming this is all a corruption of the Tom Black Classic of May 23, 1981. Wind 0.0: Lewis 10.13, Phillips 10.14, King 10.18, Miller 10.30, Smith 10.34, Glance 10.43, Gault 10.45

Comment

>Phillips was a good sprinter - until he came over to Europe, then
                    >he suddenly seemed very average - not travel well?>>

Oh, really?

Jeff Phillips Europe '82
                    10.39 1)Bislett 6/26
                    10.26 1)Budapest 6/30
                    20.65 1) "
                    10.26 1)DN Galan 7/6
                    20.39 1)Oslo G 7/7
                    10.22 2)Paris 7/9
                    10.33 1)Lausanne 7/14
                    dnf 200 "
                    10.39 3)Nikäia 8/14
                    10.18 2)Weltklasse 8/18
                    (Alan Wells 6th in 10.45:-)
                    20.40 1)ISTAF 8/20
                    21.17 6)Cologne 8/22
                    10.49 4)Koblenz 8/25
                    20.35 1)V Damme 8/27
                    10.33 2) Stuttgart 8/29

I see a lot of wins at what today are a lot of Golden League or Super GP meets.

Comment

>I'm assuming this is all a corruption of the Tom Black Classic of May 23, 1981.
                      >Wind 0.0: Lewis 10.13, Phillips 10.14, King 10.18, Miller 10.30, Smith 10.34,
                      >Glance 10.43, Gault 10.45

Track stats are so incredibly frustrating...I cannot believe I could have missed this when I looked at my lists before posting yesterday! It's right there! Aaargh...

Oh, thanks gh... :-)

Comment

>What did the USATF used to be called BTW. Was it "The Athletics Congress"? "TAC"?

Yes it was. AAU from 1888-1979, TAC from 1980-92, USATF since 1993.

Comment

Comment

>With the exception of the Weltklasse, I
                            would say Phillips' performances in Europe were pretty average (nothing else below 10.20).

Sub 10.20 was world class elite in those days. Wells himself only legally broke 10.20 once in 1979, twice in 1980, once in 1981 and not at all in 1982 or 1983. Phillips' was outstanding in 1981-1982. Besides, gh wasn't claiming Phillips was a great, just that his performances in Europe were better than was claimed.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X