Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass trivia

I'm not sure of the answer on this; this a fishing expediton as much as workable trivia. Who was the first guy to use glass to vault in the NCAA Championships? I've got a tentative answer, but am not completely sure.

Re: Fiberglass trivia

I'll GUESS Roubanis in about 1956

Comment

An ancillary question is who was the first to actually use the bend, because my understanding of the advent of glass was that it was merely an attempt to decrease the weight of the pole. Even the flexible bamboos were not used effectively as catapults.

Comment

Don't have complete research materials available at the moment, but not sure Roubanis ever competed in the NCAA meet; if he did, wasn't in the first 8.

Comment

Garry - my guess would be Aubrey Dooley - I'm sure I saw a photo of him in '59 using fibreglass (but I could be wrong)

Comment

I have a citation for Dooley using glass in the '58 meet as a soph.

Comment

Bob Mathias, at Stanford? He used one in the Olympics.

Comment

Dang! There goes my Oly glass trivia question! (Mathias never vaulted in the NCAA)

Comment

oldvaulter - while I got you here - can you explain to me how the early benders figured out the over-the-head, push the bottom arm out to the left, ride that baby to the sky, technique? It really was nothing ike the stiff pole vault technique of the time. Trial and error? Serendipitous happenstance? Someone had to come up with it first, like when Fosbury did his thing.

Comment

>can you explain to me how the early benders
                    >figured out the over-the-head, push the bottom arm out to the left, ride that
                    >baby to the sky, technique?

Meaning no disrespect to you gentlemen and certainly not to this interesting thread, but try reading this in the context of "bender" being English slang for a raving homosexual! Never mind, "big bender". Jeeeezz, yesterday had to bite my tongue about MJD's, "You gotta love COC" and GH missing a 3-way...what is this site coming to?

Comment

and people accuse ME of reading too much into stuff!

Comment

<context of "bender" being English slang for a raving homosexual!>

One learns something new every day :-)
                        Who says the message boards are not intellectually illuminating?
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Markhj's message reminded me of the Harry Carpenter line (Harry Carpenter was a BBC commentator on boxing (mainly) for years) at the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race (about 1987) when he noted that after the race the Cambrdge crew "very sportingly are kissing the Oxford cox"

Comment

>oldvaulter - while I got you here - can you explain to me how the early benders
                            >figured out the over-the-head, push the bottom arm out to the left, ride that
                            >baby to the sky, technique? It really was nothing ike the stiff pole vault
                            >technique of the time. Trial and error? Serendipitous happenstance? Someone had
                            >to come up with it first, like when Fosbury did his thing.

This is even a better question than it might appear. Particularly because John Uelses was the first person to clear 16-feet, and probably got the most ink of the early fiberglass vaulters.

But Uelses did it wrong! He had a reverse bend, in which the pole bent backwards toward the ground. He thrust with his upper arm and pulled with his lower arm. There's a very good photo sequence of him vaulting in a Sports Illustrated issue.

I wonder how many young vaulters were screwed up thinking they must be doing things backwards to have the pole bending toward the pit.

Comment

I would have said Roubanis. I do remember a TFN piece about him pioneering with the glass pole. But maybe never in the NCAA meet.

Comment

Working...
                              X