Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First *real* track meet you attended?

>'Probably 1960 in Boulder,Folsom Field, the National AAU Championships'

I
    >used to live in Boulder, so I find that interesting. Was there a track in
    >Folsom Field in 1960? By 1968 it had moved to its present location, Potts
    >Field, (see Robert Redford in 'Downhill Racer' to see what I mean).

The last track season for Folsom Field was 1966. Potts was used the next season (1967) and Big 8 was at Potts in 1968.

Comment

Remove this one

Please remove this post

Comment

Probably a WSU dual meet in '61. I was at a lot of HS meets as a competitor, but that was probably my first "real" meet. In those days, the Washington HS state meet was also at Pullman, so that may have been a "bigger" meet. I don't think that the Pac 8 league meet was held there while I was in school. After an Army stint, I returned for the Lingren/van Reenan teams (and maybe the GH years) and those were some fun meets.

Comment

Perhaps not the very first, but the first I remember -- and indeed probably my earliest memory of anything. Stanford-Los Angeles Athletic Club, March 26, 1932. Ben eastman runs 46.4, world record by a full second; coach Dink Templeton is in a hospital, but a phone is rigged on the infield, and the two talk before and after the race. I was five, but my visual memory is distinct.

Comment

Hey, oldvaulter... do you recall that at the old Coliseum Relays they used to run some high school exhibition events? A guy from my hs ran one of my favorite events there: the class C 120 low hurdles. A bunch of little tiny but very quick 17 and 18 year olds eating up 10 low hurdles. It was cool.

Comment

It must have been the Philadelphia Inquirer Games in the late 60s. I think the first real outdoor meet was the 1972 Penn Relays in which Larry Black ran a sub-44 relay leg for NC Central.

Comment

The 1956 Coliseum Relays where Dumas made the "First" official 7' jump. Very exciting for a 15 year old kid.

Comment

>The 1956 Coliseum Relays where Dumas made the "First" official 7' jump. Very
                  >exciting for a 15 year old kid.

Think again. Dumas' 7 footer was at the FOT not Coliseum Relays.

Comment

<Think again. Dumas' 7 footer was at the FOT not Coliseum Relays.>

Wrong oh great one. It occurred at the Coliseum.

Never argue with an old shotputter who was there.

Comment

Twas the '72 Mt SAC Relays. My HS Coach, Joe Douglas, who was a founder of the Santa Monica TC in '71 picked me up and we sped out to Walnut, CA. Joe's vision for the SMTC at that time was to become a "World Class" track club.

The first track meet that I ever watched was the '64 Tokyo Olympics, Jim McKay announcing the feats of Hayes and Mills left quite an impression on this 8yr old!

Comment

><Think again. Dumas' 7 footer was at the FOT not Coliseum Relays.>

Wrong oh
                        >great one. It occurred at the Coliseum.

Never argue with an old shotputter
                        >who was there.

No, I am not wrong, it may have been at the Coliseum, but it was NOT at the Coliseum RELAYS as was stated. The FOT's were at the Coliseum.

Comment

I stand corrected, it was the FOT. Don't know why I remembered it as the Relays.

High jumper Charles Dumas dies; was first to clear 7 feet
                          By ANDREW DALTON, Associated Press Writer
                          January 5, 2004

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Charles Dumas, an Olympic gold medalist who was the first high jumper to clear 7 feet, died of cancer Monday. He was 66.

Dumas cleared 7-0 1/2 in the 1956 Olympic Trials at the Los Angeles Coliseum. He went on to win a gold medal in the event in the Melbourne Olympics that year.

Comment

>><Think again. Dumas' 7 footer was at the FOT not Coliseum Relays.>

Wrong
                            >oh
                            >great one. It occurred at the Coliseum.

Never argue with an old
                            >shotputter
                            >who was there.

No, I am not wrong, it may have been at the
                            >Coliseum, but it was NOT at the Coliseum RELAYS as was stated. The FOT's were
                            >at the Coliseum.

that's cool Jack, even "Great Ones" such as I am quite frequently wrong, just not this time ! And I bet those Coliseum Relays were great every year. Then the Dodgers came to town.... and did't they keep the meet going, with a grass track, until the Dodgers built the new place in Chavez Ravine ? The when Dodgers left a new track was re-laid ?

Comment

Very hard to believe that hjsteve really thinks Dumas' jump was at the Coliseum. I was at the Olympic trials that year and saw the jump. No point arguing. It's a question of verifiable fact.

Comment

>Very hard to believe that hjsteve really thinks Dumas' jump was at the
                                >Coliseum. I was at the Olympic trials that year and saw the jump. No point
                                >arguing. It's a question of verifiable fact.

billthedog...you need to read the posts more carefully...hjsteve pointed out that Dumas's WR and first ever official 7 foot jump WAS at the L.A. Coliseum in 1956 when the OT WAS held there. That's the fact(s)!

Comment

Working...
                                X