Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First *real* track meet you attended?

Sorry.

Comment

My first indoor meet would have been the 1962 Los Angeles Invitational in the Sports Arena just a couple of years after the Democratic Convention there. My first outdoor (besides many high school meets) meet was the 1962 Los Angeles Coliseum Relays. It was at this meet where the world's first official 200 foot discus throw happened. The man who did it had already won two Olympic gold medals in the discus and would go on to win two more! I was lucky enough to see him win one of the four gold medals.

Comment

Well, I competed in a few national level championships, including Canadian Juniors and Canada Games -- but I suppose that's not really what the question was after. If we're talking "senior" meets, the first real one I attended (i.e. spectated!) was the Indoor Worlds in 1993 (Toronto). Otherwise, I've been to Mt SAC several times, but that's about it.

Comment

My
          >"first", though, was the 1958 Coliseum Relays. Herb Eliot broke the WR in
          >the mile running on grass (3:57.8). But I especially loved seeing Gutowski,
          >Morris, Roubanis, and the other vaulters, plus Charley Dumas, Parry O'Brien,
          >etc. What a thrill!

Oldvaulter...I was at that meet also...a great one like you said...Elliott's 3:57.8 was my first sub 4 in person...but it wasn't a WR. Derek Ibbotson did 3:57.2 in 1957.

My first "real meet" was the "Pre-Olympic" warm-up meet in 1956 at the Santa Ana Jr. College track...Leamon King beat Bobby Morrow handily with a 10.1 100m and Harold Connolly threw 224-8. Even tho most other marks were mediocre, it was thrilling to see our Olympians in person...I was 12 years old.

Comment

First meet (not so real): 1st grade in spring of 1963 in Athens, Greece at the Athens University cinder track. I think I competed in a sprint, the broad jump and the softball throw, but I'm not sure.

No more track for me (other than on TV) until I competed from '69 through '77, and got to see a few stars such as Valeriy Borzov indoors in Mobile, Alabama, and some hot sprinters at the Florida Relays. Got to meet Craig Masback when his Princeton team spent spring break training on my college campus in Alabama, I believe in '77.
            Oh yes, I saw Houston McTear flame a hand-timed World Record at the 1975 Florida High School state meet (I'd graduated a year earlier). Don't recall any fire extinguisher for Houston's spikes, but he could have used it.

My first "real meet" as a spectator was rewarded with a world record- an early 80's indoor meet in San Diego; Eamonn Coghlan broke the WR in the mile.
            Since then other WRs I've seen include Randy Barnes in the Shot and Tom Petranoff in the Javelin, and I think the '83 U.S.-East Germany dual might have produced a world record as well. But for overall competition nothing in personal spectating experience beats the '84 Olympics where I saw everything except the men's marathon.

Comment

The old Mobil Indoor Championships at the Garden in 1986. Saw Sergei Bubka vault 19-7! That was the WR at the time.

Comment

I was head PV judge when Borzov attempted a WR 20-1 indoors at the Sunkist meet. He didn't make it that evening- he blamed it on a poor runway and his chronically sore achilles (he iced it between attempts). Had to get out the steel tape to double check the bar on each of the three attempts- since I was head judge I got to send somebody ELSE up to the top of the ladder while I held the tape down at the bottom... Ha!

Comment

>I was head PV judge when Borzov attempted a WR 20-1 indoors at the Sunkist
                  >meet. He didn't make it that evening- he blamed it on a poor runway and his
                  >chronically sore achilles (he iced it between attempts). Had to get out the
                  >steel tape to double check the bar on each of the three attempts- since I was
                  >head judge I got to send somebody ELSE up to the top of the ladder while I held
                  >the tape down at the bottom... Ha!

Hey Randy , if " Borzov" did that well in the PV, how did Bubka do in the sprint ?

Comment

Oops on the WR claim! Elliott was only 20 years old at the
                    >time, and also when he set his WR later that year of 3:54.5. He was clearly
                    >the greatest miler of all time (at that time). A few years later Peter Snell
                    >came along and I remember T&FN writing: Who's the greatest miler of all time?
                    >Easy: Snelliott!

But all these years down the line, I still rate Elliott as
                    >#1 all time.

I feel the same way about Elliott...his career was relatively short, but what a career! Won 1960 OG 1500m with total domination w/ WR (3:35.6), held WR in mile and, to my knowledge, is the only world class 1500m/mile athlete who was never defeated. Brian Hewson beat Elliott, but it was in an 800m.

Comment

Oops!-
                      I suspect Bubka could have done better in the sprint than Borzov could have done in the vault, but it would be interesting to have seen him try!

Didn't Bubka do some relay duty in his early years for the Ukrainian Junior 4x100 squad at the Soviet national championships? Seems like I heard that somewhere...

Comment

One of the keys to Bubka's greatness was indeed his speed on the runway. He was generally considered one of the fastest-ever PV'ers in the runup.

Comment

It was always said that he had "10.3" speed. (For meters I hasten to add! :-)

Comment

Yeah, at the '83 pre oly meet at LA, Beyer got the SP WR. In the US-DDR dual portion of the meet. It was a really wonderful meet. Lots of good stuff. As I remember it, Beyer needed the throw (not the whole WR) to beat Brenner and Timmermann was in the hunt as well.

Comment

My Dad was an oil burner serviceman in Jersey and was at the house of Ollan Cassel's parents and told them I was a high jumper back in '71. They got him a floor pass for me at the Olympic Invitational in MSG. I got down on the floor and got to talk to Reynaldo Brown for about fifteen minutes before he entered the competition. I walked out of there on a cloud. A few years later we got to jump against each other and I reminded him of it and we both got a good laugh from a great memory.

Comment

Saw some Ohio State dual and tri-meets in late '60's, Big 10 ind at Mich ST in 1970? Then Mason-Dixon Games in Louisville, Cleveland KofC, Toronto Maple Leaf Games (E. Germans & Ethiopians) in mid 70's. Outdoors first quality meets were Florida Relays, then US-WG-USSR at Durham.

Comment

Working...
                                X