Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold 2 Go
    replied
    Re: First *real* track meet you attended?

ISTAF Berlin 1974

Leave a comment:

• TR
    replied

The '88 (?) indoor national championships at MSG. Steve Scott outkicked Doug Padilla in the 3000.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

1985 Bruce Jenner Classic at San Jose City College (first "real" track meet).

Leave a comment:

• Alan Shank
    replied

My first track meet of any kind was a relay meet at Avenal High School in Avenal, CA. I had absolutely NO IDEA what was going on, and thought it was about as boring as watching your sister's face break out! >:-) That was probably 1957 or 8.

In 1960 I attended a track meet at Canoga Park High School (San Fernando Valley, CA). I remember watching some guy run around the track several times and thinking how stupid it was. Here again, I didn't know anything about the race.

That summer, I read a story in Time magazine (not sure, could have been Life or s.t. else) about the US shotputters. I started looking at track stories in the newspaper (LA had Maxwell Stiles) and followed the Olympics. In September 1960 I went out for cross country.

This inspired me to attend my first "real" track meet, which was one of the LA indoor meets, probably in January 1961. I subscribed to Track & Field News about that time, as well, and I was hooked.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyA
    replied

I was in fifth grade living in Pullman WA for a year (1976). Went to a few Washington State University dual meets while Henry Rono was running for them. Don't remember much about the meets though.

Ended up buying a pair of his cleats at a store in town and used them in 7th and 8th grades. Green with black stripes; very colorful for those days.

Leave a comment:

• gwprescott
    replied

Same here! I ran track and XC in high school, attended the state meet and Gator relays (does that count as a major?), my first real meet was the 82 Knoxville meet! I went over for a day of prelims, saw Wille Gault, Carl Lewis, James Robinson, Cliff Wiley, Brian Oldfield, the qualifying round of the PV, and a whole bunch of others. I snapped an awesome pic of Carl crossing the finish line in the opening round of the 100, I still have the 8x10 framed in my office. Saw Wilt Chamberlain in the stands, back when he had Wilt's AC. And I completely fell in love with a 400 hurdler from Texas A&M. I think I still have her picture at home, not sure if she even made it out of the qualifying rounds.

Leave a comment:

• rhymans
    replied

First big meet I attended was the USA-British Empire and Commonwealth meet on 14 Sep 1960 (The British hadn't quite switched into full Commonwealth mode and still thought we were a major world power - politically not athletically). I went with my older brother and a friend of his (one John Greasley who became UK jt record holder 3 years later with 260'0"). We went in John's pre-WW1 (!) Ford. The meet was superb - Peter Snell running 1:44.8 in the relay with the losing US team setting a WR; Herb Eliott's last sub-4 mile, + greats on view such as Oerter, Halberg, Hal Connolly, Boston. It rained a lot at the meet, but even the car breaking downon the way home couldn't dampen our spirits.

Leave a comment:

• ajp
    replied

1947 Indoor AAU Championships. Harrison Dillard won the first of his many indoor 60HH championships. I was hooked and saw every Garden meet from then on.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

>The Mobil Invitational (indoor meet) at George Mason University in 1995.

>Saw Michael Johson run a very fast quarter.

My first meet was a very cold night in Edinburgh (06/07/90). I saw Michael Johnson blow away John Regis and run a ridiculously fast 19.85. That was before he was well known (at least to me).

I then had the good fortune to see him break the world record about 6 years later at the Atlanta Olympic games. His talent will be hard to forget.

Leave a comment:

• jlightnin
    replied

Back in 1969, as an 8 year old I ran the 50 yard dash at a County Wide Junior Olympics somewhere in the 9 flat range and unfortunately, I didnt make it out of the prelims that day. The good thing was that my older brother Lamar who was 12 at that time and my sister Dawn who was 9, both won their respective races and that day was a contributing factor to me becoming a hooked track fan.

Leave a comment:

• marathonman
    replied

Other than high school meets, my first "real" track meet was the 1994 Florida Relays.

Leave a comment:

• R. Sloane
    replied

Sometime in the spring of 1960. That's when I started running track in Jr. High and going to Cal track meets at Edwards Stadium.

Leave a comment:

• kenfine
    replied

It was a few months short of my 15th birthday and my father took me to Randall's Island to see the second day of the '61 AAU. We sat at the closed horsehoe portion of the stadium. My father was not a fan and he dozed off! My strongest memories were: the furious finish of the 880 where Dupree just held off Siebert, Burleson finally beating Beatty with Grelle third; seeing the jumps at 15'4" but leaving before the end and not seeing Morris go 15'8" into the sawdust; and mostly, the move Otis Davis pulled before the last turn of the 440. Two middle aged Black men were behind us (probably younger than I am now), and when Davis made his move one said loudly to the other "that's not Kosher", and I learned then that "Kosher" had a lot broader meaning than dietary laws.

Leave a comment:

• Al in NYC
    replied

1967 NCAA Indoors at Cobo Arena Detroit. Jim Ryun ran 3:58.6, and Bob Seagren went over 17'. I remember the whole arena standing and screaming as Ryun finished, and my father trying to lift me up over his head to see (I was 7). And I was truly captivated by the wild sight of the flying vaulters and the drama of Seagren's go at 17'. Started me on a road I haven't gotten off of since...

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied

Saw some Ohio State dual and tri-meets in late '60's, Big 10 ind at Mich ST in 1970? Then Mason-Dixon Games in Louisville, Cleveland KofC, Toronto Maple Leaf Games (E. Germans & Ethiopians) in mid 70's. Outdoors first quality meets were Florida Relays, then US-WG-USSR at Durham.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X