Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotput HS 16lb record better than NCAA

There was a time when the distance achieved by a prep with the 16 lb shot exceeded the existing NCAA record. Do you know who did it, how far and when?

Re: Shotput HS 16lb record better than NCAA

the obvious guess, no research, is Michael Carter but I THINK it first few years of NCAA . Name--NFI.

Comment

Michael was great but not the one. Here's a hint: Think of the Compton Invitational.

Comment

Dallas Long?
        "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

answer has to be back in the times before the preps went to the 12lb shot, but I don't know the answer to that. DJ?

Comment

Bill Neider?

Comment

Gonna let it ride til Friday. If no one has the answer, I will reveal it. One more hint. 1958.

Comment

1958 Compton Invitational. Dave Davis (USC?) set an NCAA record, and on the next throw Dallas Long (North Phoenix HS) moved to 3rd on the all-time world list with his 61' 1/2" put — about 4 inches less than Jack Slocombe threw with the 12 lb. shot to win the California State HS Meet a week earlier.

Comment

Wow, you are good. Davis was at USC. We were at the meet and I have never seen someone (Davis) go from such a high to such a low. Dallas was incredible that night.

Comment

So Dallas Long was correct?
                    "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

I was a high school freshman in 1958 and my dad brought me to the Compton Invitational.

I'll tell what I really loved in those days: when a big meet was finished, you would go out afterwards, have a snack, and when you left the restaurant, newspapers carrying stories and pictures about the meet were already being sold on the street!
                      "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Was the old Compton Invite, especially in the '60's, at Compton High or Compton College?

Comment

Compton College.

Comment

OK Jack, here's a couple of related questions for you! What high school did Dave Davis attend and what college did he transfer to before his USC eligibility was up?

Also who beat him in the California State H.S. Championships in 1956 and what was unique about that shot puter.

Comment

>OK Jack, here's a couple of related questions for you! What high school did
                              >Dave Davis attend and what college did he transfer to before his USC
                              >eligibility was up?

Also who beat him in the California State H.S.
                              >Championships in 1956 and what was unique about that shot puter.

That's got to be Homer Robertson, and was he deaf ?

Comment

Working...
                              X