Oldie but goody TRIV.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldie but goody TRIV.

Give name, events,and year. I recorded 3 best marks in 3 different recognized events in one calendar year. All were world records ,sort of. One was in New York. hint, IVY LEAGUE.

Re: Oldie but goody TRIV.

BIG HINT -- according to his college, he was first American to use the "crouching" start.FOR his day this cat was a super star.

Comment

Alvin Kraenzlein(UPenn.)? 120yH,220yH,LJ?

Comment

C.H. Sherrill of Yale.

Comment

(Kraenzlein) Hurdles 'records' in 1898, LJ in '99.
          So it's someone else.. good question

Comment

Oooooh--- 'calendar year'!.. It WAS Kraenzlein. 220yH :23.6 5/98(New York), 120yH 15.2 6/98(Chicago), LJ 7.40 4/99(Phila.) No, not off the top of my head.. but looked it up in my own book...

Comment

NONE of above , a TIGER on the track.

Comment

Ok,.. Myer Prinstein?(1898) LJ plus 2 minor events? Or Luther Cary?(1891) 100y plus 2 indoor sprints? Out

Comment

yeh bf, LUTHER H. CARY . Princeton class of 1893 where he roomed with KUHA.In 1891 he WON , IC4A 100&220 , AND also 100 meter "wr"in a seperate race.check Brinkster for details

Comment

>yeh bf, LUTHER H. CARY . Princeton class of 1893 where he roomed with KUHA.In
                    >1891 he WON , IC4A 100&220 , AND also 100 meter "wr"in a seperate race.check
                    >Brinkster for details

If Luther Cary is the correct answer then his college has too much history to keep it all straight.

The "hint" they provided is wrong, as it was Charles Sherrill of Yale who first used the crouch start in this country. Sherrill was taught the crouch by Mike Murphy, who had seen it used in Australian professional races.

Comment

I was 4 years ahead of Cary. Knew him well, but didn't room with him.

Comment

Working...
                      X