• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gh
    Administrator
    • Oct 2005
    • west of Westeros

The Strange Case Of Slats Hardin

First, just to warm up with a question that every good triviameister should know, what was unusual about his claiming the WR in the 400H final at the '32 Olympics?
  • O Atkins
    • Oct 2005

Re: The Strange Case Of Slats Hardin

Hardin was second to Tisdall but Tisdall knocked down a hurdle so Tisdall's world record was not allowed.

Comment

• gh
      Administrator
      • Oct 2005
      • west of Westeros

Meaning that Hardin got credit for a WR while finishing 2nd in a slower time than the winner.

But that was only the second of the bizarre races he was involved in that summer. What was equally strange about the OT race?

Comment

• tafnut
        • Oct 2005
        • Lost at C (-minus)

Now see - we got over that whole 'knocking down a hurdle is a horrible offense' thing, but we still can't accept volzing as part of the PV ?!

Comment

• Per Andersen
          • Oct 2005

Hardin also won the AAU 400h that year but was disqualified. Did they combine the AAU and the OT in 1932?

Comment

• lasse10k
            • Oct 2005

I recall seeing a photograph of a hurdle askew in its lane, but not out of its lane. In the photograph was an AAU official by the name of Dan Ferris. I believe the bone of contention was that Hardin had hit the hurdle, but since it was not knocked down or out of the lane, he was not disqualified.

Comment

• gh
              Administrator
              • Oct 2005
              • west of Westeros

The AAU and OT were combined that year. Hardin ran out of his lane and was DQed by the AAU, which named Joe Healey as the national champion.

But the USOC declared Hardin the winner of the OT and put him on the team!

(edited to fix an ill-defined antecedent)

Comment

• hj197steve
                • Oct 2005

>I recall seeing a photograph of a hurdle askew in its lane, but not out of its
                >lane. In the photograph was an AAU official by the name of Dan Ferris. I
                >believe the bone of contention was that Hardin had hit the hurdle, but since it
                >was not knocked down or out of the lane, he was not disqualified.

I believe that picture was taken when he ran his WR ( 50.6 ? )

Comment

Working...
                X