Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: White HS sprinters trivia

From the couple of times I saw him run, looked like the kind of guy who was more "quick" than "fast" and would have to do a lot of intense strength training to be a good 100m guy. Super at 60 indoors, but already fading at that distance.

Comment

Forest Beaty ran 9.4 100 yard dash in addition to his 20.2 straightaway 220 yard dash as an underclassman at Glendale Hoover. If I'm not mistaken Beaty won the Calfifornia State CIF 100 yard dash one year and the 220 yard dash two years in the mid-60's. The Foothill League, which included Glendale Hoover, had an outstanding group of sprinters when Beaty was there. Another white sprinter in the league was Ralph Turner of John Burroughs H.S. in Burbank. Turner ran 9.5 and also 20.6 when Beaty ran his 20.2. If I recall correctly there was also still another very good white sprinter that year from either Burbank H.S. or Glendale H.S. It was in the Foothill League Championships that one year in the early or mid 60's that these three plus a couple of sprinters from John Muir H.S. in Pasadena or Pasadena H.S. all ran 9.6 or better and 21.1 or better. Not bad for one little 7 team league. For those of you who aren't familiar with it John Muir has had a slew of California State Chapmpion sprinters.

Forest Beaty went on to run at the University of California in Berkeley and although a good collegiate sprinter he never quite lived up to his H.S. accomplishments. He graduated from Cal, went to medical school and about 6-7 years ago I read an article about him being a physician in the East Bay Area treating some group of unfortunates (I don't recall whether they were poor, HIV or what) on a humanitarian basis. He went from being a very good sprinter to a very good humanitarian physician. He surely has my respect.

Comment

Matt Bruno won the CA HS 100 & 200 a couple years ago. He is a journeyman, but had some HS sucess.

Comment

Joe Galeno graduated from HS in 1987. I saw him at the 1993 Empire State Games in Rochester, NY. His old HS coach was talking with mine and made refrences to a drug problem he had following HS.

Comment

drugs like coke/heroin drugs or steroids?

Comment

Does anybody know anything about Wayne Johnson?

I believe he won the Texas State 5A 100 and 200 meter races in 1978.
              I know he ran a 9.3 100y and 20.78 200m in high school. Obviously he had a lot of potential, but I'm not sure that he ever went to college, or even raced again.

Comment

Recreational drugs, not performance enhancing.

Comment

>Does anybody know anything about Wayne Johnson?

I believe he won the Texas
                  >State 5A 100 and 200 meter races in 1978.
                  I know he ran a 9.3 100y and 20.78
                  >200m in high school. Obviously he had a lot of potential, but I'm not sure
                  >that he ever went to college, or even raced again.

I'm pretty sure that Wayne went to UT. I was running for LSU when we recruited him and some of his Richardson HS teammates. I still remember seeing him anchor the indoor mile relay, jogging the first 220 and then reeling in the field on the second lap. I believe he got injured his frosh year in Austin.

Comment

Dave Mills evidently resides in the Kettering, Ohio area now. Of course, he's not fast anymore given that he's about 65 now! He was damned fast...440yd in 46.6 on the old 2-straightaway, 1-turn track at Ohio State...all on cinder.

Comment

Here's someone that might need to be added to the list....I see that a kid from Iowa, Andy Brodel, has a 10.34 this year. Pretty damn fast for a HSer.

Comment

Wayne went to college, the University of Texas-Austin and his primary sport was football, a receiver but didn't have much success on the field. He still ran track during his college career, but looked like a beefed up footballer, running track.

Comment

Sammy Dirske sp from Texas was my roomie in a national HS meet in Mt Prospect Ill. He was the Texas state champ and was the fastest or so in the early 70s. ( I was a high jumper back then)
                          Dennis DeLoach

Comment

Yes, I had seen that he was the Texas HS champ and ran some very fast times in HS. I think there is a meet named after him in Texas.
                            Did he continue his sprint career at college?

Comment

I didn't see him at the Golden West or the National Junior's meet in the next weeks , don't know where he went...

Comment

mmmm - did you Bay Area guys forget Dave Masters? ... if it weren't a guy named Mel Gray.

Also seems like the 60-70s era in So Cal had a number of 9.5 type guys. HS I went to had a soph run 9.6 only to fade into the seamier side of life - as early as his jr. yr. HS

Comment

Working...
                                X