Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feature article on ," What ever happened"....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynn Cannon
    replied
    Re: Feature article on ,

Bill...is that really you?Have fun in LV, and be sure to go to church! I'm still running and loving it more than ever...I was never a competitor like you, just like the recreational, fun running.

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied

Lynn Cannon: kind of a 6 degrees from Kevin Bacon - the (just) former principal of one of the more celebrated TNF / xc high schools, and now current director of school district 'something' is a guy by the name of Bill Delaney. Yep the same one ... goin to LV for Super Bowl weekend with a close friend of mine.

Leave a comment:

• Chris McHorney
    replied

I am trying to locate Coach Tom Noon. I ran for Coach Noon in 1978/79 and 1979/80 when he coached at GWC. Do you happen to have an e-mail address or phone number for him?

Chris McHorney

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Hi Joe...I remember you--high jumper, lanky and dark complected.What does the 68 mean after your initials? I'm glad you connected with Coach Noon--I lost track of him years ago when he moved from Lemon Heights.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

Hiya, Lynn. This is Joe Cantrell, a jumper and a year behind you in school. Good to hear that you are still running and have enough leisure time to waste around these message boards. I saw Tom Noon about a year ago and he is aging but just as rabid as ever.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

jhc68,I grew up in a big ranch style home in an orange grove in Tustin, CA and graduated from Tustin Union H.S. in 1963. Yes, I was a distance runner; better in cross-country than track since the longest track race back then was the mile. Still am running, albiet just for fun and fitness now (at age 58).

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

hey, Lynn Cannon... where did you grow up? I went to high school with a distance runner Lynn Cannon.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Tafnut,I like your review of what you like in T&FN,and I agree with you that Garry Hill et al have done a great job in keeping up with and satisfying readership...but from many of the responses in this thread I think a regular update story of past stars could add too T&FN's readership appeal. Both you and 1.97hjsteve suggest a current survey...I'd like to second that.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>I guess this is a question for Gary Hill, but I'd
    >like to know if others are interested. TFN has
    >done some great articles about the status of T &
    >F athletes of the past--but what about a monthly
    >article? There seems to be a lot of interest in
    >this...yes many questions and lots of interest!!i would love to know how many of my favorites atheletes of the past... are doing,what they are up too,please let me know!!

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Not to get back to THE TOPIC AT HAND, but . . .
    I have subscribed for 32 years now, and yes I did it first for the results, but even then I had Track Newsletter that gave them better (faster), so now I actually read the magazine and my favorite sections are:
    1. Previews - the year in general, HS, college, US, World
    2. Predictions, i.e. form charts
    3. features on new stars
    4. updates on current stars
    5. commentary on meets (but ya gotta keep the results there too)
    6. lists (even though they are 'obsolete')
    7. the new poster thing is good - what happened to real posters like the 70's?
    8. Status Quo
    9. News (upcoming meets, etc. )

My point is that I think T&FN has done a very good job of evolving and serving their readership (me being the most important element therein)

The new electronic site is great as well. Perhaps Mssrs Hill et al need a survey of what the bottom three features are and what 3 new things should be added or expanded. An on-line poll would be very easy, yes? Do it, gh.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

oh, well, it was late at night for an old guy like me !

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

> I believe it was a USA-USSR Juniors Meet and I believe Yashenko, Skeets Neamiah and Michel Carter all competed. Or am I delusional about the whole thing?<

At the very least, you're delusional about the spelling of Yashchenko, Nehemiah and Michael. :-)

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

There used to be a photo posted on the Joe Faust High Jump World site showing Yashenko skying over a height by a minimum of 12-15 inches... the height was unknown but it was claimed that he opened at that meet at 6'8". I believe it was a USA-USSR Juniors Meet and I believe Yashenko, Skeets Neamiah and Michel Carter all competed. Or am I delusional about the whole thing?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Well my pr is 2.24 (plus an unratified 2.25 which still irritates me) from over 20 years ago and I couldn't straddle to save my life...think the best I could do was about 1.65! Yashenko (who I competed against) was easily the best talent I've ever seen, including Soto. There was a video of him clearing 2.28 at Euro Champs 1978 by at least 6-9" and quite possibly more...I'm not exagerating (my dad, who was the UK national HJ coach, comes here occasionally and he'll confirm). Plus he did it after a night on the booze! I have no doubt that if he'd had a long career he'd have jumped 2.45+. His death from I presume the bottle was a great shame.

Leave a comment:

• 1.97hjsteve
    replied

with a tramboline ......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X