Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Track: Should USA Basketball '72 take their silvers???

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-Track: Should USA Basketball '72 take their silvers?

Taking a stand can sometimes have consequences. If the stand was right at the time, it still is unless there is some new information(there isn't). The fact that some of the players' personal circumstances may have changed is an external issue and shouldn't change their position if it was a principled one. They didn't win the silver. Any reasonable person would conclude that they actually won the gold. I completely agree with the holdouts. Help the players with financial issues out in some other way. Strikes me that letting them have the medal just so they can flip it for some sort of pecuniary gain is kind of against the spirit of "not looking like sore losers" anyway.

Comment

...ok nothing like a run to shake out the cobwebs. Here is how you turn a sow's purse into a silk ear and maybe this has already been mentioned in the article referred to or on whatever board the basketball freaks hang out on. What a magnanimous gesture it would be if a couple of the USSR players were to turn over their golds to the athletes with the financial hardships.

Comment

Comment

Give me strength - do you wonder why Americans like you are so
          >despised in the world, when you make such crass and selfish
          >remarks?

Very wise move editing that out particularly on this week-end when they are dedicating the WWII memorial
          recognizing the 16000000 american veterans who fought in the war, without whom many of the non americans
          who frequent this board would be posting in German. But I guess what have they done for you
          lately, eh(your first clue that I'm not a yank)?

Magnanimous? You wouldn't begin to understand the meaning of the
          >word. "Charity begins at home..."

First of all, I'm not american and you would know that if you were paying any attention at all. I have no dog in this
          fight. Go ahead and attack the idea but don't base it on anti-american biases. The sort of gesture is not without
          precedent. Not to mention that such a gesture would just emphasize your particular point.

Comment

OK, the debate is getting good. Let me point some things out.

1) I'm American, and as I said before, I do believe that USA 72 should accept the silvers and move on. I know that many on this board don't like me saying this, but....

2) There is no evidence that any member of USA Basketball '72 is in any financial difficulty. And from my understanding, NONE of the members are anywhere near changing their positions.

3) For those of you who think that the American stand is not a case of sore losing, I ask these questions: a) What if this was Barcelona 92 (long shot, of course) and the $5 million/year Dream Team was robbed under the same circumstances? Would their NBA/high salary status not change your postition? b) What if all 12 members of USA '72 were clones of Rasheed Wallace (or whose antics were similar)?????

Comment

Comment

Re: Should USA Basketball '72 take their silvers???

>The sort of gesture is not without

>precedent.

I even can get this back on to a track thread.
                Officials make ruling, beneficiary of said ruling doesn't like result, medal gets given away.

"According to Coolsaet, Blouin initially rejected the idea of accepting the medal even though he protested the decision made by the Canada Games officials as too strict.

"I didn't talk to him in person but I heard he had said I should keep it, it was mine. But I couldn't do that.""

http://www.uoguelph.ca/athletics/Varsit ... olsaet.htm

Note that by making this suggestion, I am not commenting at all on the behaviour of the US team.

Comment

So the Americans should accept the silver medals, then the Soviets should return the gold medals to the Americans and then receive their silver medals from the Americans. Right :-))

Comment

Working...
                  X