Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia: 4 World records in 1 Day

This athlete (not Jesse Owens) set four world records in one day.

Re: Trivia: 4 World records in 1 Day

does it have to be track? if not, i would have to say mark spitz at the olympics??

Comment

Yes, Track & Field

Comment

Comment

March 17, 2004:

Calgarian Earle Connor was named yesterday among six nominees for the World Sportsperson of the Year Award in the disability category at the upcoming Laureus World Sports Awards. Connor, a 27-year-old leg amputee sprinter, had a stunning summer last year, breaking four world records in the span of a week.

He set records in the 100m (12.14 seconds), 200m (26.66) and 400m (67.32) on the same day in Germany.

Then, in Milan just six days later, he lowered his 200m record to 26.40.

CLOSE?

Comment

1 week does not = 1 day.

Comment

>1 week does not = 1 day.

That bit up there is a bit confusing. Here is another link that is no better so who knows:

"In 2003, Connor managed to break four world records in six days."

But then the link says the following:

"At a meet in Germany in June, he clocked 12.14 seconds in the 100m, 26.66 seconds in the 200m, and 1minute 7.32 seconds in the 400m, all in the same day."

I guess the 200 wasn't a record because it then goes on to say:

"Six days later, he was able to lower his 200m time to 26.39 seconds at a competition in Milan."

http://www.athletics.ca/article.asp?id=3267

Comment

Charley Paddock, 100m, 200m, 300m and 300y. Ta Da! What do I win???

Comment

Didn't some distance runner way back- maybe Nurmi- set three or four world records in a single race? (with intermediate times along the way)

Or is that an urban legend?

I guess this thread should be over on the Historical board....

Comment

Paddock may have done it too; but not who I had in mind. Yes, should have been on historical board.

Comment

MAY HAVE!!!

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Bio ... ck/01.html

Wink wink!

Now I am still confounded as to who you had in mind. I had thought distance too, like Nurmi. 'Fess up!

Comment

It took Paddock 3 races/events to do it. This person did it in one.

Comment

Was it Ron Clarke's infamous training run a day or two before the Tokyo '64 Olympic 10,000 final? I remember reading years ago that he was not coached and he had tons and tons of energy before the race that he was running around the training track and began really moving... Other coaches and fans at the track began clocking him and he starting smashing unofficial world records, like the 2,000, the 2 mile etc. etc. Finally, a friend went and tackled him and made him stop... In the final he was burnt out and faltered to the bronze medal.

Comment

Whoa there G. Ahearn. The question was for Four World Records in one day. You're just now putting in the one race caveat! On Jeopardy I would win! And tell us who the heck it was 'cause I can't find it.

Comment

Ed Fern is of course, correct. Paddock on April 23, 1921 (Shakespeare's Birthday and St. George's Day) broke the WRs at 100y/100m in one race and 300y and 300m in another. And that is all the question asked.

Comment

Working...
                              X