• Show
Clear All
    26mi235

• 26mi235
    replied
    Re: Truly fast non-track athletes

Michael Bennett (RB Vikings) Who
    >was either a 10.17, or 10.20 sprinter at Wisconsin

It was 10.18 (5/21/00, so it was not the NCAAs); I think that he left school a year early while still improving. He no longer holds the school record (Demi Omole go that his freshman year).

While we are at it, what about adding some other top marks in other T&F events. Of course, the shot putting of several notables is probably at the top. But, I was noticing that Al Toon, a pretty good reciever fo the Jets did 54 71/2 (16.65) in the TJ and did Joe Greene from Ohio St play football?

Leave a comment:

• black bear

• black bear
    replied

>Other than that, I always used to think Darryl Green and Herschel
    >Walker were
    >the best of the NFL's fast men, either of whom could probably have
    >made the
    >US Olympic 100 team on a good day. Green was more convincing with
    >regard to
    >his sprinting style

having seen Green run a 10.08 in a not-so-major meet at
    >San Angelo years ago, I can attest to his track acumen -- also a blazer in the
    >deuce and on the 4x4!

Darrell was/is also one of the nicest, most pleasant
    >athletes you could ever hope to meet

When I read this thread I immediately thought of Darryl Green. I have been a Redskins fan for many years just about when he came into the league and watching him at corner was something spectacular, and returning punts also. Almost everyone stated that Green was the fastest man in the NFL for years and years even when he was getting up there in years.

Leave a comment:

• kwillymac

• kwillymac
    replied

>I remember reading Rossum's Notre Dame bio when the Eagles drafted him. I
    >think he was credited with about 10.08 at 100m; but I can find no evidence of
    >the time elsewhere. Perhaps it was heavily wind aided.

Also, here are the
    >top Superstars 100y times:

Joey Galloway-1999 (9.22)
    James Lofton-1982
    >(9.57)
    O.J. Simpson-1975 (9.69)
    James Lofton-1982 (9.69)
    Steve Smith
    >(PV)-1975 (9.71)
    Chris Collinsworth-1982 (9.75)
    O.J. Simpson-1975
    >(9.76)
    Vince Coleman-1986 (9.80)
    Mark Clayton-1985 (9.85)
    Billy "White
    >Shoes" Johnson-1977 (10.00)
    Greg Pruitt-1979 (10.03)
    Billy Olson-1987
    >(10.08)
    Reynaldo Nehemiah-1986 (10.10)
    Bob Seagren-1975 (10.16)

Don't forget Willie Gault and Herschel Walker. I don't know their fastest but I have seen 9.44 out of each. They tied I believe. I know that Gault ran faster in other years.

Leave a comment:

• bricks
    replied

I remember reading Rossum's Notre Dame bio when the Eagles drafted him. I think he was credited with about 10.08 at 100m; but I can find no evidence of the time elsewhere. Perhaps it was heavily wind aided.

Also, here are the top Superstars 100y times:

Joey Galloway-1999 (9.22)
    James Lofton-1982 (9.57)
    O.J. Simpson-1975 (9.69)
    James Lofton-1982 (9.69)
    Steve Smith (PV)-1975 (9.71)
    Chris Collinsworth-1982 (9.75)
    O.J. Simpson-1975 (9.76)
    Vince Coleman-1986 (9.80)
    Mark Clayton-1985 (9.85)
    Billy "White Shoes" Johnson-1977 (10.00)
    Greg Pruitt-1979 (10.03)
    Billy Olson-1987 (10.08)
    Reynaldo Nehemiah-1986 (10.10)
    Bob Seagren-1975 (10.16)

Leave a comment:

• cullman

• cullman
    replied

There was a passing mention during today's Falcons vs. Eagles game of kick returner Allen Rossum posting a 10 second 100 in high school! For what it's worth his bio says that he ran ran track at Skyline High School in Dallas and ran a 10.02 in 1993. It also states that he ran a 6.26 55-meters in finishing seventh at the NCAA indoor championships in 1997.

cman

Leave a comment:

• buckeye II

• buckeye II
    replied

Joey Galloway = sub 4.20

In a game at OSU, I saw Terry Glenn, who didn't run track, catch a hook pattern. A Notre Dame DB, can't recall his name, but was an NCAA spint placer according to the announcer, was running at Glenn from behind. From a standing start, Glenn simply pulled away. Pads make a difference, but he must've been no slower than 4.3 & probably faster.

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan

• paulthefan
    replied

Darrell
    >Green never lost a race in the NFL Fastest Man. He beat Willie Gault, Herschel
    >Walker, Ron Brown, Phillip Epps(Photo finish), Mark Duper. He was undefeated.
    >Cliff Branch was never in those competitions.

Gault was a very rare breed, strong with an extraordinary graceful stride.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman

• tandfman
    replied

>Speaking about track/NFLers,<

What's a great way to resuscitate a thread that had been dormant for four months!

Leave a comment:

• kwillymac

• kwillymac
    replied

Speaking about track/NFLers, I vaguely remember
    >a made for TV head to head battle of the NFLers quite a few years ago. Phillip
    >Epps "upset" Darrell Green in one of the preliminary rounds and lost to Ron
    >Brown in the finals if my memory serves me correctly. Green's won a bunch of
    >NFL's Fastest Man competitions...I think he beat Cliff Branch to win his first
    >one.

Darrell Green never lost a race in the NFL Fastest Man. He beat Willie Gault, Herschel Walker, Ron Brown, Phillip Epps(Photo finish), Mark Duper. He was undefeated. Cliff Branch was never in those competitions.

Leave a comment:

• cullman

• cullman
    replied

Dorsett's time was broadcast to the TV audience as 9.3 with a flyer which broke OJ's Superstars record of 9.4 (both fudged for TV hand timing!). The magazine article says 9.57. Realistically, it was probably a tenth or two slower than that. It's quite a bit slower than a Darrell Green, Curtis Dickey or Isaac Curtis for that matter but not bad for a non-track guy in sneakers.

cman

Leave a comment:

• Paul J

• Paul J
    replied

A number of times during Superstars I would time the athletes running the 100 yd Dash. I know that timing it from the TV screen is not accurate. However, my times were much slower than those they were given credit. I have been timing track athletes for 40 years, and I'm reasonably accurate. I also experimented with timing track competitions from the TV screen, and I was fairly accurate. I wonder if the times on Superstars was adjusted so that they would appear faster than they really were?

Leave a comment:

• cullman

• cullman
    replied

"I also remember Tony Dorsett being run down by good ole Darrell Green."

Yessiree...but Darrell was a trackguy and Tony definitely qualifies as a "non-track athlete".

Speaking about track/NFLers, I vaguely remember a made for TV head to head battle of the NFLers quite a few years ago. Phillip Epps "upset" Darrell Green in one of the preliminary rounds and lost to Ron Brown in the finals if my memory serves me correctly. Green's won a bunch of NFL's Fastest Man competitions...I think he beat Cliff Branch to win his first one.

Recently Laveranues Coles 4.18, Donte Stallworth 4.19 are the fastest 40 yard times amongst the active players but the official NFL combines 40 yard record is still supposedly Deion Sanders 4.24.

cman

Leave a comment:

• cullman

• cullman
    replied

"Speed is the time it takes me to get between point A and point B in a straight line. You see a lot of people with what they call quick feet. They look fast but they're really not. I've got both. On the Superstars show I ran the 100 (yards) on concrete wearing tennis shoes. I thought I was gliding and Greg Pruitt said to me, 'Man, you were flying.'

"I said, 'No way.' " The timer said 9.57."

Tony Dorsett's quote from "Inside Sports", November 1981.

Dorsett 40 yard time is listed as 4.45. Among the trackmen/footballers in 1981, Curtis Dickey 4.26, Lam Jones 4.34

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan

• Bob Duncan
    replied

I wouldn't call her "truly fast", but I remember that back during her prime, Martina Navratalova participated in the Superstars television competition. She had to run 400m and turned around a 59 or 60. Kyle Rote, Jr. also appeared and ran close to 2:00 for 800m.

Leave a comment:

• Answer Giver

• Answer Giver
    replied

And
    >there was a very Quick wide receiver who played for the Eagles early 80s, first
    >name's Mike, can't think of his surname...

You already said it...his name is Mike Quick!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X