X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Truly fast non-track athletes

So for the US, try to
    >o think about fast baseballers.

I think Tony Gwynn was a good RB or something in high school, as well as an excellent sprinter.. did he maybe win states in HS at some point in any event? I have vague recollections of this.. as we all know even when he got pretty overweight he was fast on the base paths..

rickey henderson, lou brock, and vince coleman were amazingly fast - i wouldnt be surprised if one of them had mid 10.xxs in high school -- if someone wants to look for evidence of that who has a lot more documentation of me, feel free...

Comment

OJ was awfully damn fast. He still holds a WR, I beleive!

Comment

Deion Sanders ran on Florida State's 4x100. If I remember correctly, he had a 10.3 100m PR or so.

Comment

Deion Sanders ran 10.26 in 1988. Herschel Walker ran 10.23 in 1982. Rocket Ismail ran 10.34 in 1991. Randy Moss ran in the 10.70's in high school.

Comment

The late Bobby Bonds was a pretty good sprinter, too.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

<<rickey henderson, lou brock, and
              >vince coleman were amazingly fast - i wouldnt be surprised if one of them had
              >mid 10.xxs in high school -- if someone wants to look for evidence of that who
              >has a lot more documentation of me, feel free... >>

I suspect you're confusing "quick" with fast.

Comment

><<rickey henderson, lou brock, and
                >vince coleman were amazingly fast - i
                >wouldnt be surprised if one of them had
                >mid 10.xxs in high school -- if
                >someone wants to look for evidence of that who
                >has a lot more documentation
                >of me, feel free... >>

> I suspect you're confusing "quick" with fast.

i dont think you can regularly steal third base in the MLB with just 'quickness' - nor get in-the-park home runs without an outfielder error. rickey was DEFINITELY fast. some of his plays in the outfield were insane as well, the balls he could get to. i'd like to find out for sure if he did track at all. he was an all-american running back out of oakland in high school.

i'm less familiar with brock although footage of him is blazing and he stole a ton..

vince in his prime was on par with RH's speed.

Comment

>I suspect you're confusing "quick" with fast.

The LA Dodgers' Willie Davis was "fast." Maury Wills was "quick," stole more bases on brains and experience than Davis, but Willie Davis was "fast."

He went straight from HS 25' 3" (# 1 HS & # 6 World mark in the BJ,) to rookie outfielder for the Dodgers in 1958.

I don't know any of his HS sprint marks, but he was "fast" between the bases for years.

Comment

2 footballers on the same team, Curtis Dickey RB, and Mike Mosley QB for Texas A&M in the late '70s early '80s. Dickey ran track at A&M, and was an NCAA sprint champ indoors. In high school, Moseley was state champ 110 h hurdler, 100m from Humble Tx. I'm sure T&F news has some old archive times on Mosley from the high school lists. Mosley was a truly gifted athlete, and without a doubt, had Olympic caliber talent.

Comment

Sid Bream watching him score the winning run against the Pirates in the NLCS brought to my mind Secretariat or Bob Hayes.........

Comment

Johnny "Lam" Jones, WR - NY Jets, had some serious credentials at Texas A&M as a sprinter. Too bad he couldn't catch the ball or take a hit. His Jets partner, Wesley Walker, was not too shabby (understatement) and blind in one eye too - which made all those catches to beat the Dolphins even more amazing. He's coaching HS track now.

Comment

Lam Jones ran 9.9 (+1.8) in Austin, TX in 1977. Adjusted for wind, altitude, hand-timing, and era, would be about 9.91 today.

Darrell Green ran 10.08 (+0.1) in San Angelo, TX in 1983. Adjusted for wind, altitude, and era, would also be about 9.91 today.

Comment

>>I suspect you're confusing "quick" with fast.

The LA Dodgers' Willie
                            >Willie Davis was "fast."

He went straight from
                            >HS 25' 3" (# 1 HS & # 6 World mark in the BJ,) to rookie outfielder for the
                            >Dodgers in 1958.

Davis broke into the majors in 1960, began playing regularly in his official rookie year of '61. Never stole more than 50 bases, despite being on the early-'60 Dodgers built on pitching, speed and defense.

He certainly had great "baseball speed," but I don't think he'd stand up well as a sprinter or he would have been a much better one in high school, as well as being a very good long jumper.

Comment

Among Welsh rugby players Ken Jones from a bygone era was pretty quick, and ran on the GBR silver medal relay team in 1948. Jaco Reinach was a "Springbok" international winger - and was a 45.01 400 man. Some rugby players are truly quick, but not really fast. Marcus Garvey, just selected for England for the first time last sunday has supposedly been autotimed over 10m as quicker than Mo Greene. Garvey could perhaps run 10.7 for 100m but is immensely powerful and quick for the first few strides. Christian Cullen, the sublimely talented NZ fullback of the late 1990's had the same ability as Gale Sayers as far as changing direction at full speed, and getting into top gear almost immediately, but was no great sprinter. The problem is that it's very difficult to find really quick and fast athletes who have great hand-eye co-ordination and coolness under fire. Hayes, Green, Sanders, Bo Jackson, Walker are good examples, but athletes like Dickey didn't do as well as expected.

Comment

>Lam Jones ran 9.9 (+1.8) in Austin, TX in 1977.<

By that time he was already an Olympic relay gold medalist.

Comment

Working...
                                X