• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    slowcoach

• slowcoach
    replied
    Re: Truly fast non-track athletes

I'm surprised you guys never mentioned the following:

James Lofton, more a Long Jumper, but a pretty decent sprinter.

Phil Epps, 20.2 or so.

Simon Geoghegan, English-born Irish rugby wing, reputed to have run 10.5. Caught the great Campo from behind in a Sevens' tournament.

MacDonald only ran 10.8 in Superstars, and it was for 100m. I remember it well, but it was manual.

I also remember Tony Dorsett being run down by good ole Darrell Green.

And there was a very Quick wide receiver who played for the Eagles early 80s, first name's Mike, can't think of his surname...

Leave a comment:

• The King

• The King
    replied

>>Probably a legitimate claim as the Superstars was
    >almost certainly running
    >100 yards, not meters.

So what does that 10.4 convert to in real money?

The standard conversion from yards to metres (in the 100 that is) is 0.9, although a 10.4 usually says that the conversion should be around 1.0
    So 10.4 is 'worth' around 11.3-11.4 in 100m terms

Leave a comment:

• Daisy

• Daisy
    replied

>Probably a legitimate claim as the Superstars was
    >almost certainly running 100 yards, not meters.

So what does that 10.4 convert to in real money?

Leave a comment:

• dj
    Administrator

• dj
    replied

Malcolm MacDonald, also with Arsenal, claims to have been timed
    >at 10.4 on the TV show Superstars (1970's), I'm not sure how legit their timers
    >were but I do remember him being fast. Anyone know if this is a MacDonald
    >exaggeration?

Probably a legitimate claim as the Superstars was almost certainly running 100 yards, not meters.

Leave a comment:

• No Name

• No Name
    replied

"Jonothan Ogden (OL Ravens) Was a good shot putter in college and probably would have made a great one if he focused soley on the field."

And that would have been an incredibly dumb idea, considering his current salary.

Leave a comment:

• antoineg

• antoineg
    replied

Ichiro Suzuki of the Seattle Mariners is one of the quickest players around in US baseball right now. I say quick rather than fast because I don't know anything about his speed beyond 90 feet. But he sure is quick! I wonder if he has ever been timed at 60/100m?

But the fastest non-track athlete has to be Edgar Martinez, also of the Mariners. JOKING!!!

Leave a comment:

• Daisy

• Daisy
    replied

>Thierry Henry in the English soccer premiership must be a 10.7 type sprinter

Malcolm MacDonald, also with Arsenal, claims to have been timed at 10.4 on the TV show Superstars (1970's), I'm not sure how legit their timers were but I do remember him being fast. Anyone know if this is a MacDonald exaggeration?

see this web site for evidence for his claim.
    http://tinyurl.com/6s4qk

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan

• Bob Duncan
    replied

>Willie Wilson was a very fast baseball player (mainly for the Kansas City
    >Royals) in the 80's. He had 21 triples one year.
    Outside of the inside the park homer, the triple is the most exciting hit in baseball.

According to Josh Gibson, Cool Papa Bell was so fast he could get out of bed, turn out the lights across the room and be back in bed under the covers before the lights went out.

I used to play a baseball board game called Stratomatic Baseball and the players had a running ability rating, which you could use for "stretching" a single or double into an extra base. On one end you had guys like Willie Mays and Hank Aaron and on the other end you had Yogi Berra.

Then we have track athletes who go to other sports like Herb Washington, the designated pinch runner, who had two seasons for the Oakland A's and had ZERO at bats!
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/washihe01.shtml

Leave a comment:

• donley2

• donley2
    replied

Willie Wilson was a very fast baseball player (mainly for the Kansas City Royals) in the 80's. He had 21 triples one year. His great line was that he wasn't fast enough to make his own high school 4x1 relay team. I have always wondered if that was a true story.

Leave a comment:

• knockout

• knockout
    replied

those three all blacks are mighty quick and huge with it....
    I think as mentioned by pretty much everyone else on here, the NFL has the quickest non track and field athletes.... although a lot of them are converts

Thierry Henry in the English soccer premiership must be a 10.7 type sprinter

Leave a comment:

• bigmac

• bigmac
    replied

>Joe Rockococko who plays wing for the All-Blacks is fast. They are playing Australia this Saturday night if it comes throuhg on anyone's cable.

Joe is quicker than Doug Howlett who ran 10.76 to win NZ schools 100m. Joe was a better hurdler and long jumper. People say he has about 10.3 speed and maybe a 10.1 sprinter if he trained for it but he won't quit rugby. But I still think Jonah Lomu was a greater athlete than them all. Ran a winning 11 flat 100m, anchored relay, 6m long jump, 13m shotput (16lbs with a shuffle!) all at age 17, 6'4 and 115kg. SO thats my size and I can do the shot, except my long jumps not much over 5m and I couldn't run 11 flat to save my life. My coach actually coached all 3 of the above mentioned guys.

Leave a comment:

• Trackfan310

• Trackfan310
    replied

Every year Jack Shepherd compliles a highschool list that probably goes 25-30 deep. Its $5 and generally can be found at major High school events like National Schoolastic. But he also can be reached directly, and can mail his publications to you. I think you can find his address in issues of T&F news.

Leave a comment:

• The King

• The King
    replied

RedPete:
    I found MO's HS PRs on the USATF website, this information is featured in Maurice Greene's 'bio'.

And his PRs and season best times for each year from 1995 to 2003 are featured also.

http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/Greene_Maurice.asp

Leave a comment:

• RedPete

• RedPete
    replied

Maurice Greene's HS 100m and 200m PRs were 10.43 and 21.00
    >respectively.

Mo actually ran 10.08 in 1996, and then improved it to 9.96
    >and 9.90 at the '97 US Nationals. He then ran another couple of 9.90 (about 3 I
    >think?) and then he got down to his 9.86 at the Worlds...

...and only 10.19 in '95, right.

So this illustrates the point that there's a major jump from being "truly fast" and training to run a fast time on the track. 10.47 to 9.86 for instance.

Where do you find these Jack Shepherd lists, Trackfan310,and do you know anything else, The King?

Leave a comment:

• The King

• The King
    replied

>To answer your question on Mo Greene, I believe his HS PR was 10.47 (correct me
    >if I am wrong.) You can probably find him on old lists compliled by Jack
    >Shepherd. My understanding is, he used to battle with Tim Harden in high
    >school.

Maurice Greene's HS 100m and 200m PRs were 10.43 and 21.00 respectively.

Mo actually ran 10.08 in 1996, and then improved it to 9.96 and 9.90 at the '97 US Nationals. He then ran another couple of 9.90 (about 3 I think?) and then he got down to his 9.86 at the Worlds...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X