Re: Truly fast non-track athletes

>Wrong pat Johnson.

Sorry I got mixed up...

Leave a comment:

• Trackfan310

• Trackfan310
    replied

To answer your question on Mo Greene, I believe his HS PR was 10.47 (correct me if I am wrong.) You can probably find him on old lists compliled by Jack Shepherd. My understanding is, he used to battle with Tim Harden in high school.

Leave a comment:

• RedPete

• RedPete
    replied

You never can tell how fast somebody can become until they truly focus & train for track.
    I remember some quote from a Florida State track teammate saying "Deion Sanders wasn't all that special at track without the bright lights and cheering crowds. Sure he was pretty fast. But on the football field he was 'PRIMETIME'-- on the track he was just Deion Sanders."

Also, you never can tell how much or how little somebody will improve. Many High School List leaders never pan out, while some athletes who were never on the list, later reach world class level.

In fact, can ANYbody show me proof that Maurice Greene won six Kansas high school sprint titles ['92 & '93 I assume] or tell us his PRs before suddenly reaching world-record class in '97?

Leave a comment:

• Trackfan310

• Trackfan310
    replied

I think I do recall pat beating Carl Lewis at drake relays, or some such meet.

Leave a comment:

• Will C
    replied

Err, I was actually talking about Pat Johnson, the Cincinatti Bengals' WR. It's not mentioned on his new Bengals bio but I swear it was on the Redskins site when he played for them last season.

Leave a comment:

• Trackfan310

• Trackfan310
    replied

Wrong pat Johnson.

Leave a comment:

• The King

• The King
    replied

>Patrick Johnson even beat Carl Lewis in a 100m race, around 1996 I believe
    >(10.26 was Pat's winning time)

Yes that is ture. Pat Johnson actually mentions within his 'bio'

http://www.athletics.org.au/athletes/pr ... jectID=118

Leave a comment:

• Will C
    replied

Patrick Johnson even beat Carl Lewis in a 100m race, around 1996 I believe (10.26 was Pat's winning time)

Leave a comment:

• Trackfan310

• Trackfan310
    replied

Some more recent athletes who were actually quite skilled on the the Track include:

Terrence Newman (DB cowboys), who ran 10.20 I believe as a part time track athlete while at Kansas State

Michael Bennett (RB Vikings) Who was either a 10.17, or 10.20 sprinter at Wisconsin

Pat Johnson (WR Bengals) Was a phenomenal Sprinter in HS and College with remarkable range. (10.20's, 20.30's and low 45's) was a Pac-10 champion at one time or another in all three disciplines.

Sultan McCullogh (Formerly of USC) As a true part time sprinter ran 10.17 and 10.20's consistently while harldy practicing on the track. Sad part is, he was OK in football, but was much better on the track. Yet it just wasn't his primary focus.

And outside of sprints we have:
    Jonothan Ogden (OL Ravens) Was a good shot putter in college and probably would have made a great one if he focused soley on the field.

Leave a comment:

• Will C
    replied

Howlett, Rokocoko and Caucaunibuca all look roughly equal in speed terms on the rugby field, although Howlett was the only one to seriously give track a go. Caucau is seriously fast but almost seems quicker going side to side than in a straight line.

I know that Thierry Henry used to be "an athlete" when he was younger before fully committing to football (soccer) aged about 15. Not sure what event he did; sprints seems like the obvious idea but he might just have been a HJer - bloody lanky that kid

Leave a comment:

• Michael

• Michael
    replied

Johnny Jones went to the University of Texas....not A&M.....just keeping things in order

Leave a comment:

• Brutal

• Brutal
    replied

Tony Dorsett

Leave a comment:

• The Fern

• The Fern
    replied

Per I had not heard anything about that. Just by looking at him I would think he would have to really bulk up for Rugby. He looks a bit of a poof to play the way he looks now.

Leave a comment:

• MJD

• MJD
    replied

Faster than a speeding bullet...

Leave a comment:

• cullman

• cullman
    replied

Dallas Cowboy running back, Tony Dorsett broke OJ's 100 yard "dash" record on the ABC's Superstars competition. He blew away the field with a hand timed 9.3 in jogging shoes. BTW...he didn't run track in college.

cman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X