Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerome Drayton and his name

Read this somewhere"

"Rumour has it that Canadian Marathoner Jerome Drayton, who won the Boston Marathon in 1977, changed his name from Peter Buniak in honour of Harry Jerome and Paul Drayton. Yes, the irony of a distance runner idolizing sprinters!"

yea - nay? know anythiong about this

Re: Jerome Drayton and his name

I second that rumour (might as well spell it Canadian).

Comment

That is correct - he changed his name in 1970 (I think right around there anyway) - he competed at the 1968 Olympics as Peter Buniak and at the 1976 Olympics as Jerome Drayton. Supposedly, he chose the name because he was a fan of sprinters Harry Jerome and Paul Drayton. I can't verify that.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
        Supposedly, he chose the name because he was a fan of sprinters Harry Jerome and Paul Drayton. I can't verify that.
        Wiki sez it's "reportedly" true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Drayton

Comment

Per The Marathon Footrace by Roger Gynn and Dave Martin, Buniak changed his name in March 1969. I knew I could find it somewhere.

Comment

He has most definitively said the story is NOT true. His response, I believe, was "If was going to name myself after my running heroes I'd be Emil Clarke."

(or was Nurmi in there?)

Seriously.

Comment

was there a " Peter Buniak" in the track world - and as an OLympian?

found in IAAF.org :

Drayton, of Ukrainian parents was born in Germany, and immigrated to Canada in 1958. Ten years later, he ran in the Mexico City Olympic marathon representing Canada but he dropped out of the race around 20km. However, the name Jerome Drayton cannot be found in any Olympic marathon records, for he ran under his former name Peter Buniak. After the Olympics, in March of 1969, Peter Buniak changed his name to Jerome Drayton.

"Ever since I was 10 years old, I disliked my name Buniak," said Drayton. "So after the Mexico City Olympics, I looked through European phone books in hope of finding a name I would like. I found a name Jerome Drayton and adopted it as my name. Soon after my name change, I started winning races," explained Drayton of the process how he changed his name. But the question remains. Is it a pure coincidence that sprinters named Harry Jerome (CAN) and Paul Drayton (USA) were both medallists at the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games?

interesting how misinformation spreads on the good ol inet.

Comment

Originally posted by no one
                interesting how misinformation spreads on the good ol inet.
                this misinformation was spread long before the internet was a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  He has most definitively said the story is NOT true. His response, I believe, was "If was going to name myself after my running heroes I'd be Emil Clarke."

(or was Nurmi in there?)

Seriously.
                  In googling, I discover a year ago at this time that I thought he had said "Abebe Clarke"; regardless of which two legends he cited, I feel really comfortoable that he issued a quite along that line.

Comment

dj or gh ...out of curiosity - when did the misinformation start ... and to restate an earlier question - was there a " Peter Buniak" in the track world - and as an Olympian? or is that a fabrication also. Inquiring minds ...

Comment

dj or gh ...out of curiosity - when did the misinformation start ... and to restate an earlier question - was there a " Peter Buniak" in the track world - and as an Olympian? or is that a fabrication also. Inquiring minds ...
                      I'm not DJ or EGH, but Yes, Peter Buniak was Jerome Drayton's original name. He raced at the 1968 Olympics in the marathon as Peter Buniak, but did not finish, and changed the name in March 1969. He was Canadian 10K champion in 1968 as Peter Buniak. In 1968 he had a best time of 2-16:11 in the Canadian marathon trials at Dundas.

Comment

The lore goes back to some point in the 1970s.

Comment

So .... one yes its true > bambam
                          and two, no its urban myth > gh/dj
                          each with apparently equal surety
                          Whats a young man to do?

While this is not a earthshaking issue [like Tyson v Ali ] my curiosity remains. '68 is when I became aware of him as he was getting press. The running into the tree episode was one that I recall.

Comment

So .... one yes its true > bambam
                            and two, no its urban myth > gh/dj
                            each with apparently equal surety
                            Whats a young man to do?

While this is not a earthshaking issue [like Tyson v Ali ] my curiosity remains. '68 is when I became aware of him as he was getting press. The running into the tree episode was one that I recall.
                            We're not disagreeing - he was born Peter Buniak, and later took the name Jerome Drayton. What GH and DJ are saying, which I didn't know, is that the rumor he took the name Jerome Drayton because he was a big fan of runners Harry Jerome and Paul Drayton - is not true.

Comment

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. got it

Comment

Working...
                              X