Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pale sprint relay teams

Bobby Morrow,s COLLEGE team comes to mind. HOW about some more, including foreign. Sorry no BROS allowed .

Re: pale sprint relay teams

USA 1932 Olympics: Kiesel, Toppino, Dyer, Wykoff. 40 flat, world record.

Comment

In the recent past two teams come to mind. The Soviet Union team of the mid eighties. They changed the baton so well that invariably their anchorman got the baton before the USA usually anchored by Carl Lewis. Their team at the '87 World Championship ran 38.02 and Carl had to work to catch the last leg runner who I believe was Krylov. The team (Yevgenyov, Bryzgin, Muravyov, Krylov). The Australian team that finished either second or third behind the Donovan Bailey anchored Canada at the '95 World Championship also looked quite nippy. (Henderson, Jackson, Brimacombe and Damion Marsh)- 38.50.

Comment

Poland has always had some pretty fair teams. National record is 38.33 from 1980.

Comment

In 1959 (?) Univ. of Twxas set a WR around 1 turn at 440 yards... Ralph Alspaugh was the anchor. Remember the picture from front page of T&FN. Do not remember the other 3 but due to the racial segregation still rampant at that time I am quite sure the other 3 guys were white also. So there's another WR-setting team from the same era as Abilene Christian that set a WR for 440.

Comment

I think a couple of Southern Cal teams set world records for 440y in the 1930, and in the late 40s there were winning SC teams (Fresno, Modesto, Coliseum) with Patton anchoring.

Comment

Well, to steal a line from George Raveling, how about a women's squad of Kelli White, Willye White, Marilyn White and RaNysha LeBlanc?

Comment

>Well, to steal a line from George Raveling, how about a women's squad of Kelli
                >White, Willye White, Marilyn White and RaNysha LeBlanc?

not bad for a pale publisher - satch

Comment

And just for clarity I'll explain the George Raveling reference, which SI thought was such a good line that one year they put it in their compendium of best lines of the year. Was when Raveling was b-ball coach at Washington State, and Pullman isn't exaclty a town with a lot of people of color. Under his reign the teams went from pretty much all white to all black and here's what he said (and I paraphrase):

"The folks in Pullman told me they wanted more white players on the team, so this year I went out and recruited Rufus White and Leroy White."

Comment

There was an all-white 4x100 relay team out of east Texas that set the HS record back in the 60's.
                    It included a couple of 9.5 guys, one of whom went onto some success in college. I can't remember his name off-hand.

Comment

Andrews was the hot mile relay team, maqybe it was them in the 440 too.

Comment

You're right, Andrews, Texas 1960. Ted Nelson, who now coaches at A&M, was one of the stars for them.
                        They had the leading HS Mile relay and 4 x 440 relay teams in the country.
                        Their 4 x 440 set a national record of 41.5

Comment

Working...
                        X