Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Am I?

The last American to be ranked #1 in the world in the 5000 is also the last American to be ranked #1 in the world in the mile. T&F News end-of-year rankings.

Re: Who Am I?

Marty Liquori

Comment

You're on target, Per. That must have been too easy.

Comment

You could have given the hint that he was the first American to beat Jim Ryun in the mile, once Ryun had become The Man.

Comment

You're right. I could have also used the clue that he is the youngest ever Olympic 1500 meter finalist. But, that would have been easy, too.

Did you know Liquori, despite being ranked #1 miler in the world two different years, is only ranked 4th on Villanova's all-time milers' list. His excellent 3:52.2 (from that memorable world record race in Kingston won by Filbert Bayi, and with me in third in a European record) is behind Sydney Maree's 3:48.83 (1981), my 3:49.78 (1983 indoors), and my fellow Irishman Marcus O'Sullivan's 3:50.96 (1984).

BTW, I'm just kidding about being E.C.

Comment

I am a Kenyan broke a significant distance barrier in the same event, same meet, 3 years in a row, yet I lost to the same runner each time, one place behind him. Who am I?

Comment

Working...
            X