Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shot put and NFL question...

At one juncture the 49ers had 3 former HS SPers on the roster (regular season). Carter (who should be in the hall) TX, Cross (ditto HOF) CA, and Stover OR. We thought it would be kinda cool to decide OT games with a SP competition. Total distance. I don't know if Cross threw in college.

Comment

Rosey Grier may not have ever represented the USA internationally but he was ranked in the top ten by T&FN

Comment

>At one juncture the 49ers had 3 former HS SPers on the roster (regular season).
        >Carter (who should be in the hall) TX, Cross (ditto HOF) CA, and Stover OR.
        >We thought it would be kinda cool to decide OT games with a SP competition.
        >. Total distance. I don't know if Cross threw in college.

Are you the same Mike Renfro who played receiver for the Houston Oilers?

If so, then tell everyone from Pittsburgh that catch you took from Pastorini was inbounds!
        Y'all should have been in Supe XIII. Now, back to the shot put......

Comment

>Rosey Grier may not have ever represented the USA internationally but he was
          >ranked in the top ten by T&FN

I've never heard this.... more info ??!!

Comment

Herschel Walker was Georgia state champ in the 100, 200, and shot put during his junior and senior years.

Merlin Olsen and John Hannah also had some shot put experience.

I remember seeing Mark Malone throw the discus at an IPI meet in the mid-70's. He also may have been a shot putter in high school.

Comment

>>Rosey Grier may not have ever represented the USA internationally but he
              >was
              >ranked in the top ten by T&FN

I've never heard this.... more info
              >??!!

Well, I answered my own question digging into some old TFN's:

Roosevelt Grier was 7 US, 9 W, on performers list in both 1954 and 1955, with 55'8.25" and 56'3.5"; got a 5th and a 6th in NCAA in 1954 and 1955,plus a 6th in AAU in 1955.

Oddly I checked the Penn State website; Grier never even made ALL America in football. He sure made up for it in the pros.

Comment

Being a Brit, I'm not really into the NFL. But I'm pretty sure British discus/hammer thrower Bob Weir (coach to Adam Nelson) had a stint in the NFL.

Not that it counts for too much....

Comment

No, that Mike Renfro was the son of Ray, who played for the Browns in the 40s & 50s. Ray was a shirttail relative of my father, who also played in the AAFL. Dad only lasted 3 games, badly ripped knee. 49er alum #1. I played ball in HS. Not too terrific.

Comment

>Being a Brit, I'm not really into the NFL. But I'm pretty sure British
                    >discus/hammer thrower Bob Weir (coach to Adam Nelson) had a stint in the
                    >NFL.>>

Far as I know Weir only played in the CFL (Canajun league), never the NFL. Adam Nelson moved to Georgia to train with their coach a few years back I seem to recall reading from a throwers-group story in TFN.

Comment

> But I'm pretty sure British discus/hammer thrower Bob Weir (coach to Adam Nelson) had a stint in the NFL.

Adam seems a lot more worked up than the average Grateful Dead disciple.

Comment

Not world class, but in high school (with HS implements) TJ Duckett (RB for Atlanta) threw 67 feet and in the discus Ron Dayne (RB now playing for Denver) threw 216-11.

Comment

>>Pretty sure Neidhart never played in the NFL.
                          I believe Neidhart played
                          >for the Oakland Raiders practice squad. Atleast that is what I read in several
                          >interviews with him.

Per my edition of Total Football (1997 edition), Neidhart never played in the NFL. Also, Bob Weir never played per that book. Does not mean they didn't go to a training camp or perhaps on the taxi squad.

Comment

Didn't Randy Barnes play pro football for a short time?

Comment

>Didn't Randy Barnes play pro football for a short time?

I can't find any mention of it on his website:

http://www.randybarnes.com/index.php

He went to Texas A and M. I believe they had another fairly decent putter there once upon a time? His name escapes me...another Randy...
                              oh, yeah...Matson.

Ironically, I remember reading a bio of Matson as a kid, and the football coaches wanted him to play in college, but he didn't. He did however play basketball at the collegiate level.

Getting back to Barnes, it's hard for me to believe that the football coaches at A and M didn't at least try to get him to come out for the sport.

Comment

And while we're on the subject of great shotputters who played football, I'm reminded of two pretty good High School Javelin throwers who went on to fairly decent pro football careers:

Terry Bradshaw - ""During my senior year I'd been throwing the javelin 208, maybe 210 feet," Bradshaw writes in his new book, "It's Only a Game." Then at the state meet I did something I had never done before. It got up there and just kept going: 244 feet, 11 and 3/4 inches, a national record. "

Russ Francis - "Oregon high school star Russ Francis' state and national record of
                                259' 9", set in 1971, lasted until 1988, when both were broken by the late Art Skipper by 1 inch"

Comment

Working...
                                X