X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Abilene Christian sprint legend Bill Woodhouse

story on front page

Re: RIP: Abilene Christian sprint legend Bill Woodhouse

5th in the 1960 100m trials,... not shabby. What were his HS accomplishments ? ..Wiki has not even a line on him.

Graduated from Mason City HS in Iowa in 1955.

1955--9.7, 9.4w

Comment

He ran on the last great all white college relay (just telling it like it was) team with Waymon Griggs, James Segrest and the great Bobby Morrow. Griggs and Segrest 9.6-9.8ish types I think.

http://blogs.acu.edu/acutoday/2012/07/2 ... the-map-2/

Just scroll down the page a bit and there's a picture of the relay team.

Comment

Hard to understand that he was a 9.3 dasher when he was never really the equal of Morrow. On the other hand while Morrow was burnt out by the time of the 1960 trials, Woodhouse would finish 5th in the 100m there.

From http://www.iatfcc.org/index.php?option= ... nchor74461

William "Bill" Woodhouse

Bill is a 1955 Graduate of Mason City High School. “Heed the advice of your parents, teachers and coaches!” Former Mohawk and Abilene Christian University sprinter Bill Woodhouse was inducted into the Penn Relays Hall of Fame during the 110 running of the Penn Relay Carnival at the University of Pennsylvania. The Outstanding Collegiate performer of 1959, Woodhouse set a Carnival record of 9.5 in the 100 yard dash and anchored Carnival-record teams in the 440- and 880-yard relays. Woodhouse won four Penn Relays championships during his ACU career, running the third leg on the 1958 440-yard relay championship team, and then anchoring the winning 880-yard relay team in 1958 and the 440-yard and 880-yard relay teams in 1959. Woodhouse twice tied the world record in the 100-yard dash (9.3 seconds) in 1957 and 1959 during his career at Abilene Christian. He also ran on Wildcat relay teams which set world records in the 440-yard and 880-yard relay events. Woodhouse ranked fourth in the 220-yarrd dash and 10th in the 100-yard dash in the world in 1958. That season he finished fourth in both the 100 and 220 at the NCAA Division I National Meet. He also finished fifth in the 100 at the U.S. Olympic Trials in 1960 to become an alternate member of the U.S. Olympic Team, and he ran on the gold-medal-winning 400-meter relay team for the U.S. at the 1959 Pan American Games. Woodhouse is also a member of the Drake Relays Hall of Fame, and in 1991 he was inducted into the Abilene Christian University Sports Hall of Fame. Bill wants all to, “help those who are less fortunate or in need.” Bill Woodhouse believes his faith and relationship with God has been the key to his mental confidence and peace in the environment of competition in his track career and in the business world.

Comment

Morrow finished 4th in the 1960 trials 200.

Comment

Originally posted by user4
            Hard to understand that he was a 9.3 dasher when he was never really the equal of Morrow. …...
            Not at all hard to understand in the context of the era.

Lots of options:

1. bad hand timing
            2. no wind gauge, but meet reports were convincing enough that it was legal even though it actually wasn't.
            3. rolling start
            4. with no permanent markers on a dirt track, a short course
            5. d, all the above.

Comment

I doubt the 50 s were a period of lax hand timing methods.

Comment

I didn't say "lax" i said 'bad"; and I stand by it. (as it was the '60s, '70 and any other decade where hand timing was relied on, in almost all locales)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  I didn't say "lax" i said 'bad"; and I stand by it. (as it was the '60s, '70 and any other decade where hand timing was relied on, in almost all locales)
                  My understanding of the issue from this forum, over more than a few threads is that some were worse than others. I suspect that Woodhouse at his best in 1959 was at least a legit 9.4 dashman to earn his #10 world ranking that year.

1 Ray Norton (US)
                  2 Charlie Tidwell (US)
                  3 Bobby Poynter (US)
                  4 Mike Agostini (Trinidad)
                  5 Abdou Seye (France)
                  6 Bobby Morrow (US)
                  7 Ira Murchison (US)
                  8 Livio Berruti (Italy)
                  9 Roscoe Cook (US)
                  10 Bill Woodhouse (US)

Comment

Woodhouse's best legal 100y times of 1959
                    9.3 (quadrangular meet at home)

windy times

plus a couple of legal 10.3s for meters which could be characterized as 9.45s.

Comment

This board and its key contributors is indispensable to the sport... As for Woodhouse: 9.4ish .. not too shabby for 1959 on cinder.

Comment

I'm thinking that ACU was the first school to have two 100yard WR holders (to be) there at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon
                          I'm thinking that ACU was the first school to have two 100yard WR holders (to be) there at the same time.
                          Trying to think of any event that had WR holding teamates. Smith and Evans in the 400 at SJS- any others?

Comment

Originally posted by JayIsMe
                            Trying to think of any event that had WR holding teamates. Smith and Evans in the 400 at SJS- any others?
                            Speaking of SJS. They had John Carlos who would run a 9.1 WR and Ronnie Ray Smith who would run a WR 9.9.

Comment

Originally posted by JayIsMe
                              Pole Vault has been done several times by USC and Yale.

Comment

Working...
                              X