Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East German Athletic Standards

I remember reading somewhere that the East German federation had athletic standards that were very difficult (in some cases better than the Olympic A standards). Does anyone recall this or happen to know where I could find them? I'd be interested to see them.

Re: East German Athletic Standards

If you're referring to team selection standards, many federations have standards that are higher than the IAAF's standards. And that's been true since the time of the former GDR.

Comment

I don't think the DDR had any set standards.

Rather, at the last minute, they'd sit down, make a form chart, and if an athlete was believed to have a chance of "looking good" they'd be on the team. No tourists.

Pretty sure if you look you'll find that DDR athletes virtually never failed to advance to finals (and most challenged for medals). Not good propaganda to have mortals in your midst.

Comment

Could it have been an article about the current german federation? For London 2012 most DLV standards for track events were higher than the IAAF A-standard.

Comment

The GDR did have standards higher than the IAF or Olympic standards; I distinctly remember reading an article in either Athletics Weekly or Athletics Today that discussed this (it was either the 87 or 88 season)

I think gh is right in that this wasn't the only criteria though and they looked at a number of factors. Using 1988 as an example, prior to Seoul the rankings in the w200m was

Drechsler 21.84
          Moller 22.19
          Gohr 22.28
          Behrendt 22.36

But neither Gohr nor Behrendt were selected, and instead Krabbe was, who had run a wind assisted 22.34 in Sudbry (+2.3). It's not surpsing Gohr wasnt selected for that event but Behrendt was in the form of her life in 1988, running 11.05/10.89w and 22.36 PBs. It seemed she was being saved for the relay and instead they took Krabbe, apparently for experience as clearly she had 'only' an outside chance of reaching the final. Similarly Breuer was placed in the 4x400 heats, presumably for experience, when someone like Elllen Fiedler might have been a more obvious choice.

I have my mags stored in my attic so will have to try and have a look sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            I don't think the DDR had any set standards.

Rather, at the last minute, they'd sit down, make a form chart, and if an athlete was believed to have a chance of "looking good" they'd be on the team. No tourists.

Pretty sure if you look you'll find that DDR athletes virtually never failed to advance to finals (and most challenged for medals). Not good propaganda to have mortals in your midst.
            This is basically how Peter Matthews describes it in the 88/89 stats annual (p.96).
            No greater example of the extremeness of their selection policy than the placing table in Rome WC. From place 1 to 8: 10-11-10-3-5-4-0-0
            This must have left scores of frustrated good athletes at home.

Comment

Working...
            X