Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitality King

Happy birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion who was born 87 years ago this day. Our birthday person won two Olympic gold medals and died 19 years later at the age of 48. This champion was 29 years old when winning those two gold medals.

The country our champion athlete represented at the Olympic Games no longer exists. Our birthday athlete set more than one world record. Don't even worry about the hurdles when trying to figure this person.

Our birthday champion won Olympic gold medals five days apart. You can forget the high jump, shot put, steeplechase, and any relay when thinking about this athlete.

Name our champion for today.

Re: Vitality King

Volodymyr Kuts

Comment

Nice job, bambam. Happy birthday today to Vladimir Kuts who won both the 5,000 and the 10,000 meters in Melbourne over 57 years ago. Kuts died in 1975 at the age of 48.

Comment

Vladamir, Vladamir, Vladamir Kuts;
        Nature's attempt at machine in boots.

Don't know where I heard or read this but figured I had to share it.

Comment

Seems a bit strange that he died so young...anyone know the circumstance of his death?

Comment

There were reports that he drank heavily the last few years of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar

And had blimped out as well from what I recall. bambam can let us knw.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar
                I think the reports were that he always drank heavily after his T&F career ended. It gets to you eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE
                  Vladamir, Vladamir, Vladamir Kuts;
                  Nature's attempt at machine in boots.

Don't know where I heard or read this but figured I had to share it.
                  Alan Herbert. Shows up on page 2 of this SI piece: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Comment

dj, thanks for posting the link. Kuts was relentless and not too many like him since.

Comment

Working...
                    X