Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Jeopardy ! " Toughie Question Tonight

Category was " Olympic Gold " and the answer was:

Olympic Champion in the 100 Meters in 1984 and 1988, and Olympic Champion in the Long Jump in 1984, 1988, 1992, and 1996.

Sad part is, NO ONE KNEW THE ANSWER !!

Re: "Jeopardy ! " Toughie Question Tonight

One answer given: "Johnson?"

Comment

Obviously it's "King Carl" Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve

Olympic Champion in the 100 Meters in 1984 and 1988, and Olympic Champion in the Long Jump in 1984, 1988, 1992, and 1996.

:shock:
        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Our wonderful sport is not even overlooked. It is non-existent.
          Lewis is an athletic immortal. His feats, like almost no other athlete, tripled astounding achievement with absurdly high degree of difficulty with unprecedented longevity at the highest levels.

In the Ameican consciousness and on espn, he is known for singing badly more than he is for his astounding body of Olympic and world glory, much of it earned on behalf of our great sporting nation, with USA on his chest. Lewis was Owens x 3

Comment

It bugs me to no end everytime I hear some football announcer say...."he has world class speed" Mike Wallace, RGIII, Devin Hester, Desuen Jackson (just to name a few current players) do not have nor never did possess....."world class speed".

It's the Superbowl, more than once Buck/Aikman mentioned the speed of Percy Harvin a 10.43 guy, while never once talking about the speed of Trindon Holiday and his 10.00 jets.

I remember at work after Bolt shocked us all, it was...."man that tall African guy is fast".. :roll:

This is my favorite however.

I post on some football boards.

me...Cliff Branch the old Raider receiver was a 9.2 guy, he ran that many times while at Colorado.
            some poster...yeah right, the world record is 9.58.
            :roll:

Comment

No problem, mon. See, we know you are referring to 100 YARDS.

It would not matter to the football braintrust anyway. Football people think in terms of 100 yard times already (and 40 yard times). In their minds, football guys routinely run what the fastest track sprinters do. The footballers cannot comprehend the nuance: track guys are running 11 yards further, with auto timing, the same times fast footballers ran in past years, with hand timing.
              Never try to explain that. They will not listen, will not believe you, nor can they retain the conversion difference no matter how many times it is explained. They do not want to understand it.
              To football coaches and scouts, Percy Harvin = Trindon Holliday, Chris Johnson = Usain Bolt.
              It is in their interest to think this way.

Comment

All-time record on the SPARQ test they use at the NFL combine is by Bryan Clay, and it is miles ahead of the best football score. Wonder what Ashton Eaton could score?

Comment

Yeah, wasn't that a complete bummer!! More news and historic publicity for a drug cheat then King Carl.

Comment

Originally posted by houstonian
                    No problem, mon. See, we know you are referring to 100 YARDS.

It would not matter to the football braintrust anyway. Football people think in terms of 100 yard times already (and 40 yard times). In their minds, football guys routinely run what the fastest track sprinters do. The footballers cannot comprehend the nuance: track guys are running 11 yards further, with auto timing, the same times fast footballers ran in past years, with hand timing.
                    Never try to explain that. They will not listen, will not believe you, nor can they retain the conversion difference no matter how many times it is explained. They do not want to understand it.
                    To football coaches and scouts, Percy Harvin = Trindon Holliday, Chris Johnson = Usain Bolt.
                    It is in their interest to think this way.
                    I hear you and totally agree. I don't push "I'm a huge track freak" on the football boards. I'm sure if I started rattling off...Florida A&M had a slew of tracksters play in the NFL starting with Eugene White in............nay, that wouldn't work.

Comment

Remember that this was College week on Jeopardy, and Carl Lewis won most of those medals before these young men and women were born. I've noticed the past few weeks (and with other young J contestants over the years) that they often miss questions about things that happened in the 50's, 60's and '70s. I nail these right away because I lived through them and they did not. I think there is a difference between remembering something that you experienced in some way (even if it was just seeing it on the evening news) and remembering something that you read about only as historical fact.

Comment

A worse Q-A happened on Jeopardy the other night. The clue showed a picture of a javelin and said that in some year (I don't remember which they cited), this was moved forward to reduce the distance that the jav could be thrown. The contestant answered "what is the center of gravity?"; that answer was ruled incorrect--Alex T said that the correct answer was "what is the center of mass?"

That is absolutely wrong. I believe that for all practical purposes, the center of gravity = the center of mass. But in any event, the IAAF rules specifically refer to the center of gravity, not the center of mass. The contestant who gave the correct answer was screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman

Remember that this was College week on Jeopardy, and Carl Lewis won most of those medals before these young men and women were born. I've noticed the past few weeks (and with other young J contestants over the years) that they often miss questions about things that happened in the 50's, 60's and '70s. I nail these right away because I lived through them and they did not. I think there is a difference between remembering something that you experienced in some way (even if it was just seeing it on the evening news) and remembering something that you read about only as historical fact.

True enough tandfman, but I was still horrified !

Comment

A track star who has never been in my kitchen?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                              I only partially buy your point. When I was in college , i knew well of Jesse Owens' exploits in Berlin, 25 years before I was born (43 tears prior to my freshman year), both for its political implications and its athletic duality. It was common knowledge, on both fronts.

Lewis was Owens x 3, with no Nazis around to counterplay. The jeopardy incident shows what damage has been done to track's once respected status in our national consciousness.
                              Thanks to espn, everyone knows Lewis cannot sing, but they have no idea what a historically amazing athlete he was.

Comment

Working...
                              X