Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youngest (and oldest) ever in US rankings?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Youngest ever in US rankings?

Who is the oldest non walk track person ever ranked? Not counting field because I know the discus people can be ancient and still good.

Comment

probably Colleen De Reuck, she's made US teams in her 40s.

Comment

I believe Joan Benoit was ranked in her 40's.

Comment

Al Oerter came in fourth at the Olympic trials at 43. Kind of speaks to the unique nature of the discus.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
            I believe Joan Benoit was ranked in her 40's.
            I don't have a complete answer to this general question about oldest, but tandfman is right about Samuelson -- she was 10th ranked US in the marathon in 2000, the year she turned 43. (Thanks for the post and correction of my memory on this -- when I read your post, I was sure it could not be correct, but there it is. )

As for Colleen De Reuck -- she was #6 in 2010, when she turned 46.

Kastor was #5 last year, when she turned 40.

There may be others, but hard for me to imagine anyone being in the rankings older than De Reuck.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
              Al Oerter came in fourth at the Olympic trials at 43. Kind of speaks to the unique nature of the discus.
              And the unique nature of Al Oerter.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                Originally posted by JumboElliott
                And the unique nature of Al Oerter.
                Oerter was US rankd 4th in both 1979 and 1980. He was world ranked 9th in 1979.

Comment

Barbara Jones' record is gonna be hard to beat! As Ali G himself might say, "Hamazing!"
                  "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Re: Youngest (and oldest) ever in US rankings?

2 notes:
                    -- I have revised the title of this thread to reflect its development beyond youngest ranked (or something analogous, in pre-rankings years) to youngest and oldest.

-- thanks to mrbowie for pointing out to me Barbara Jones -- this educational benefit is one of the things I appreciate about these forums, especially the Historical. When I read her name, I thought, "Who?", then looked her up, and now I know more about the history of this sport. Only 15yo when she earned that relay gold in 1952. Different times present different opportunities and challenges, but for her to do that at age 15 is impressive in any era, imo.

Comment

Re: Youngest (and oldest) ever in US rankings?

Gail Olsen and Scott Sellers both jumped high enough to rank at the age of around 16. I'm too lazy right now to check if they did rank.

Comment

Working...
                      X