Track & Field in the Movies: Melody (1971)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CKuykendall
    • May 2006

Track & Field in the Movies: Melody (1971)

Minor trivia here. I didn't know about this one before. It's from Melody, a 1971 British movie starring child actors Mark Lester and Jack Wild. They previously had played Oliver and the Artful Dodger, respectively, in Oliver!, which had won the 1968 Academy Award for Best Picture. In Melody, the track & field segment starts at about the 57- or 58-minute mark and lasts up to five minutes and depicts adolescents at a schoolyard meet in England. There are references to the 440, 220, and triple jump. The segment is juxtaposed, rather unexpectedly, with background music consisting of the 1967 song "To Love Somebody" by the Bee Gees. Young actress Tracy Wild has the lead female role, a romantic one, which explains the musical selection. Available on DVD and via Amazon instant viewing.
  • CKuykendall
    • May 2006

Re: Track & Field in the Movies: Melody (1971)

I posted too fast. There are script references to the 440, 100Y, 220, long jump, and triple jump, and depictions of youngsters competing in the hurdles, long jump, javelin throw, discus throw, high jump (non-flop), shot put, and individual races and relays races of whatever distances, both boys and girls.

Comment

• James Fields
      • Oct 2005
      • Knoxville and Seattle

If this thread is about "Track and Field in the Movies," not just "Melody," I refer you to a 2008 thread:

There are, of course, more motion pictures about track and field athletics. Other participants in this forum may suggest favorites and/or provide URLs to ease searching.

Comment

• James Fields
        • Oct 2005
        • Knoxville and Seattle

This thread became dormant quickly. So I offer my favorite for track and field in the movies:
        Chariots of Fire

Comment

• dukehjsteve
          • Oct 2005
          • Fishers, IN

Have not seen it in many years, but I remember a track scene in "The Way We Were".. Robert Redford a sprinter maybe ?

Comment

• Dixon
            • Jun 2013

Damn if I can remember the name of the movie :roll: It's a bar scene from the 50's, as our actors talk/drink we can hear the bar TV, it's..."Art Bragg of Morgan State won the 100 yard dash in 9.5 seconds"

Comment

Working...
            X