Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most exciting vertical jump competition?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most exciting vertical jump competition?

Isaakson/Seagren? Bubka/Olson? I don't know the HJ well enough to have any great examples.

Horizontal is pretty easy: Powell/Lewis 91.

Re: Most exciting vertical jump competition?

I read somewhere that Hollis Conway only had a 31 inch vertical leap.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
      I don't know the HJ well enough to have any great examples.
      Mogenburg
      Thranhardt
      Sjoberg
      Sotomayor
      were contemporaries.

The 66-70 era was rife with great PV battles as the WR was getting jacked. The Pennel-Seagren rivalry was my favorite.

Comment

Kostadinova vs Bykova at 87 WC comes to mind. The Bulgarian almost going out at 2.04, while the Russian cleared everything first time, then finally getting it right and ending the competition with the still-standing WR.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
          Kostadinova vs Bykova at 87 WC comes to mind.
          That was going to be my pick. Though being in the US, it is hard to get any serious coverage of vertical jumps unless a US athlete is in it. Usually TV coverage just shows the winner's highest jump (or last miss), and gives results for the top 3.

Another that I found fascinating was the wHJ at 2008 Olympics. With Vlasic making every height on the first jump, and Hellebaut needing multiple jumps at most heights. Until they hit 2.05, and Hellebaut got a first jump make. Hellebaut had a knack for pulling out big jumps in the biggest competitions. I always found Hellebaut to be a fascinating competitor.

The next year, in the Berlin meet (not the WC), the Friedrich-Vlasic match up was equally fascinating. Friedrich making some bold passes at pretty high heights, then clearing 2.06 for the win.

Comment

1956 US Olympic Trials HJ: Ernie Shelton, who had been flirting with the 7 foot barrier for a couple of years has a disastrous night, seeing his goals of a 7 foot + WR and Oly Team qualifying evaporate while Charlie Dumas shatters the 7 foot barrier instead!

1968 Olympic HJ: USA's Ed Caruthers jumps a PR 7'3" to defeat the Soviet, Gavrilov, but Fosbury changes the sport forever by clearing 7'4" for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
              1956 US Olympic Trials HJ: Ernie Shelton, who had been flirting with the 7 foot barrier for a couple of years has a disastrous night, seeing his goals of a 7 foot + WR and Oly Team qualifying evaporate while Charlie Dumas shatters the 7 foot barrier instead!

1968 Olympic HJ: USA's Ed Caruthers jumps a PR 7'3" to defeat the Soviet, Gavrilov, but Fosbury changes the sport forever by clearing 7'4" for the win.
              Yes, both of those were great and I was hugely disappointed when Shelton did not make the team but he never regained his level from 1954-55.

The 1960 HJ was one of the greatest with 4 men over 7ft (2.14) for the first time.
              Not so good for Thomas who naturally was hugely favoured. But Shavlakadze and 18 year old Brumel were incredible that night in Rome.

Comment

Meyfarth and Bykova both breaking the WR with 2.03 at the '83 European Cup was pretty good, as was Meyfarth's WR at the '72 OG while aged 16.
                The '88 OG with 9 at 2.31, 6 over 2.34 and 4 clearing 2.36 was exceptional.

Bubka's win in Seoul 88 with a do or die 5.90 clearance, and his 6th world title in 1997 (plus his 1984 battle with Vigneron when both broke the WR at the Golden Gala meet).

Possibly best of all was Steve Hooker winning in Beijing with all of his last 4 clearances at his 3rd attempt

Comment

Re men's HJ, I can think of at least a couple of competitions from the same era better than Seoul - maybe not in depth, but just looking at the battles for medals. Take Rome 1987, with all medalists clearing 2.38. Or the jump-off between Paklin and Avdeyenko at the WIC in Indy that same year.
                  The 1993 WIC in Toronto were pretty good, too:
                  1 Sotomayor 2.41
                  2 Sjoberg 2.39
                  3 Smith 2.37
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

How about the Pole Vault in 1937, when USC teammates Bill Sefton and Earl Meadows, the "Heavenly Twins," both jumped 14'11" for a WR, and they had to quit because the standards would not go any higher ?!

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                      How about the Pole Vault in 1937, when USC teammates Bill Sefton and Earl Meadows, the "Heavenly Twins," both jumped 14'11" for a WR, and they had to quit because the standards would not go any higher ?!
                      Slacker officials!! About 15 years ago I taped extensions to the top of standards when a kid attempted 16'2, which was higher than the standards went.

Comment

I'd go with this one:

https://polevaultpower.com/forum/vie...start=0#p57140

(Sorry, that formatting appears scrambled to me and there's also a certificate warning.)

I remember it at the time, and it was incredible to watch.

Not sure why the poster says, "Certainly the imperial system has to be involved." Imperial measurements hadn't been used at National level competitions in the UK for the better part of a decade, by that date.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          Slacker officials!! About 15 years ago I taped extensions
                          Originally posted by Marlow
                          kid attempted 16'2
                          Did he make it?

Comment

on the list has to be Rome Golden Gala vault of '84.

Vigneron was the WR holder at 5.83 as the year began.

Bubka then had meets of 5.85, 5.88 and 5.90 (no thin bologna in those days!).

Then they get to Rome:

5.50—V over on first, B pass
                            5.60—B over on second, V pass
                            5.70—V over on second, B pass
                            5.81—B miss/pass/pass, V pass
                            5.84—B over on first, V on second
                            5.91 WR—B miss/pass/pass, V on second
                            5.94 WR—B over on first, V pass
                            5.97 WR—V 3 misses, B pass
                            6.00 WR—B 3 misses (the first attempts ever at 6.00?)

Comment

Since I was good buddies w/ Lou Ritter at the time, her jump off win against Kostadinova in Seoul is right up there, but the one in-person that sticks in my mind most is probably Dwight Stones vs. Tom Woods at the '76 LA Times meet.

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't allow for good graphic presentation, but, best as I can, here's how their exhausting battle played out

6-10 7-0 7-2 7-4 7-6 7-6 7-4 7-6 7-4 7-6 7-4 7-2
                              TW o o xxo o xxx x o x o x x x
                              DS o o xxo o xxx x o x o x x o

(rant: fuck meters, for a U.S. audience. Here was an even-inch battle that made eminent sense, and was represented correctly on the infield indicator boards in the hand-sign days)

Comment

Working...
                              X