Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: greatest talent--- - wasted

Jacob Davis. 19'4 1/4" as a 19 year old in '98. Was a burnout coming out of high school and couldn't wait to quit. Showed up for NCAAs in '00, unpacked a pole and walked off without warming up.

Comment

Even Pre could be considered as wasted talent in that if he had been more moderate in his drinking we undoutedly would have seen a lot more from him.

Comment

What ever happened to Joe DeLoach? He was the only "clean" sprinter that beat Carl in a major in Carl's peak years (1983-91).

Comment

Sheila Ingram, Margaret Bailes, Fran Sichting, Wilma Rudolph (retiring at 21, a travesty)....just a few off top of my head.

Comment

I remember DeLoach having some serious injuries. He attempted a comeback in 2000 that didn't last very long.

Comment

>Sheila Ingram, Margaret Bailes, Fran Sichting, Wilma Rudolph (retiring at 21, a
              >travesty)....just a few off top of my head.

Why did Rudolph retire at 21?

Comment

Wilma retires at 21 because...? Dunno, but my guess would be that she already had 3 golds, there was nothing left to do and no money in running, and she had a young child to support. The economics of Running in 1960! Times have changed, eh? Look at Marion living life in the fast lane overseeing construction of her custom built house and making no secret of a baby that would have put her in the public relations trash heap in Wilma's time.

Comment

Thank you. Long before my time.

Comment

James Jackson...who beat Leamon King at the Cal HS Championships in the 100 in 55.King went on to win an Oly medal and tie a couple world records 9.3/10.1 while Jackson..........poof! I know he went to Oklahoma but did nothing.

Carter Suggs ran a 9.3 in HS then went to East Carolina where he simply faded away.

Marques Holliwell was a Cal state 100/200 champ while in HS. At USC he did nothing.

Jerry White out of Corcoran was the nations top 400 man in HS, afterwards.......poof!

James Stallworth still holds the HS record in the long jump.He then attended Fresno State where he did nothing.Drugs did him in.

Comment

Conor Dary brought up Simeon Kigen, mentioning his great road-running career in '85. I don't remember the details of '85, but in '84 he was running great. Kigen was named to the Kenyan Olympic team in the marathon and was at the Kenyan high altitude camp. The Minister for Culture and Social Services made a big deal that year about athletes staying at the camp - and had threatened anyone with expulsion from the team if they left. He made a surprise visit to the camp, Kigen had left, so no Kigen at the OG. Kigen, incensed, ran the tough San Francisco marathon course one week after the OG - with no pacemakers - and ran 2:10:17, winning by a large margin.

Why wasn't he at the camp? A coach who was there told me this unverified story: Kigen had received $10,000 as an under-the-table payment for a road race he had won in the US right before he flew home. He put the cash in his suitcase(!) - and guess what was missing when he arrived in Nairobi? He left the camp to try to find his $10,000 - and subsequently lost much more.

Comment

Jackson must have beaten King in '54. LK was a freshman at Cal in '55

Comment

Adrian Ward, a very talented 400m hurdler from Baltimore, as I recall back in the '70's. He was recruited by Villanova, but before he ever ran there, he was convicted of a violent crime. I believe he's still a ward of the state.

Comment

>what talented athlete most squandered their natural ability?

I would use as criteria a person who had tremendous talent but did not reach the limit of their potential because of bad decisions that then resulted in physical deterioration of that talent.
                            As much as I openly admired the man's athletic achievements and racing style, I see one person whose talent and potential was superior to anyone alive or had ever lived up to that point, but lost it all:

Henry Rono.

I know alcoholism is a disease, but I see Rono as having turned to alcohol for comfort because he couldn't handle the world around him, boycotts, shifty coaches, managers, meet directors, transient lifestyle, etc.

Bad decisions = drinking to forget = alcoholism = squandered talent and potential.

Comment

>Black man molests a little girl = life in prison.
                              >White man molests a little girl, Governor of Oregon, Nike executive = scum of the earth gets away with it.

As I recall, the statute of limitations ran out on Neil Goldschmidt and he "confessed" after the media was about to break the story. However, facing disbarment, he surrendered his law license.

The "40 to life" aspect of Nelloms' sentence does seem harsh to me too, despite the heinousness of his crimes. Of course back in the "old days", rapists were regularly executed. I'm not sure when he's eligible for parole, but sex offenders are a sad lot and re-offend so frequently that they are always like ticking time bombs.

For the perversely curious amongst us, you can go to the Ohio prison web site at http://www.drc.state.oh.us/search2.htm and easily find Nelloms' record and mug shot.

Comment

>The "40 to life" aspect of
                                >Nelloms' sentence does seem harsh to me too, despite the heinousness of his
                                >crimes.

I know nothing of the specifics, but the punishment and length of punishment are determined in great part by the number of counts against the guilty party.

Comment

Working...
                                X