Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santee and Empire Games?

Still confused -- is there any way Santee could have run against Bannister and Landy in the British Empire Games of 1954, as an American citizen?

Re: Santee and Empire Games?

Comment

Kenny Moore in his Sports Illustrated review of "The Perfect Mile" said Santee could have run in Vancouver; haven't found anything directly on point in the book itself, which is why I'm asking if anyone else has anything more.

Comment

There is absolutely no way an American could ever run in the Empire Games, not ever, not any way.

All the countries in the Empire Games (and later the Commonwealth Games) had in common not just being former British colonies, but actually still having the UK Queen as their head of state. She still is Queen of many other countries, including Australia (who voted to keep her, rejecting a republic, a few years ago).

The requirement is no longer so strict (there are many republics in the Commonwealth), though most are either former colonies or had very strong links with the UK. (I have no clue how Mozambique, a former Portuguese colony, came to join).

The US was never part of the Empire Games and could never have been and so there is no way Santee could ever have run for the US in Vancouver.

Comment

If I had to guess, I'd say that at some point--then or now--Santee said something to the effect that he "should" have been been there. "Should" meaning, roughly, "in a perfect world...," or "wouldn't it be something if...," etc. Giving Moore the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he meant it this way too... (I can't tell for sure, since I still haven't seen his piece--it does NOT appear to have been included in newsstand issues of SI.)

Comment

Perhaps it was Santee who was confused, at least in memory. In his interview with author Bascomb, which is the author's source for the passage on pages 222 and 223 of The Perfect Mile, Santee says it was "a cruel request" of NBC to have him announce the Vancouver race. "He did not want to watch . . . and announce the race. He wanted to run it. But because of his Marine obligations and international racing ban, he had no recourse." The NBC request is relayed to him by his Marine captain in a meeting (Santee's now in the service in the summer of 1954), and Santee wonders "whether this meeting might have been about his competing against Bannister and Landy" if he had broken the four-minute mile. Then throughout the chapter about the Vancouver race, Santee repeatedly is wishing he was there, believing he could have won the race.
            Combined with the Moore review, all this seemed to indicate somehow he could have been there, which I doubted, and I just wanted to see if the cognoscenti on this board had any other evidence. Apparently not -- so as expected, no way could Santee have gone.

Comment

Working...
            X