No announcement yet.

Coe's then record @ 800m, 23 years ago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coe's then record @ 800m, 23 years ago.

Yesterday, Sebastian Coe's fabulous 800m then-record time, was 23 years old. Set in Florence on June 10,'81 the -rec. of 1:41.73 has only rarely been approached . Yes it was surpassed in '96 by Wil Kipketer,who has 7 of the top 10, 800 times. But we still view Coe as history's top 2-lapper as he dominated middle -dis.records, winning silver and gold medals in the 80,84 Olympics [800,1500].

Re: Coe's then record @ 800m, 23 years ago.

Yes Friar, that was a tremendous time but Kipketer beat it in '97 and not '96. Also Coe never won gold in the 800 in the OG. That is one of the reasons many people do not regard him as the greatest of all time.
    Personally I'll go with Peter Snell as the greatest.

Comment

How can anyone even consider anybody other than Snell the best 800m ever? 2 Olympics, 2 golds. WR's are nice but the point is to win the race.

Comment

I conceed that two silvers don't match 2 golds.But his Moscow final couldn't have been run with worse tactics,boxed and running a ridiculously wide turn,yet he ran a 12.1 final 100 and still finnished #2, losing gold by less than 1/2 sec.

Comment

In training I once saw Coe run 4 by 400m in 47.5-48 with 5 mins recovery between,the day after he had run under 50mins for a road 10 miles!!!!

Comment

I saw this record fall (Zurich '97) but would certainly have liked to have seen it set.

A question: That Firenze meet is a bit mysterious. Was it an annual thing that died long ago, or was it a special one-off meeting?

Comment

>...his Moscow final couldn't have been run with worse tactics, boxed and running a ridiculously wide turn

But that's the point isn't it? Coe arrived at the OG 800m final in top form and blew it. He ran a bad race, he wasn't tripped, or injured or the victim of selectors. He ran badly and lost. In 1984 he ran well and lost, but still lost.

Comment

i think i'm the only one on the forum that thinks your PR is a bigger deal than titles or medals. i think of the sport, in general, in very pure terms. getting your body highest, furthest, or to a certain point as fast as possible. the person who holds the WR (ignoring any doping arguments) is the best ever, to me.

Comment

Re: PR being the only thing that matters...no, it's both that and one's competitive record. Do we think of Fernando Mamede (for example) as one of the all-time greats? No: he was a WR holder who couldn't compete. It's easy to make the argument that Coe was a greater 800 guy than the two who beat him for Olympic titles. It's a bit harder against Snell, who did it all...

Comment

i think you missed my pure point. i feel the person with the WR is the best athlete of the event until that WR is broken.

Who was a better competitor is another interesting issue to debate, for me, with many more subjective factors built in.

Comment

Well, the WR holder is certainly the FASTEST athlete in the event until someone else becomes faster. But that's self-evident, and something less (I think) than your original statement (or at least my interpretation of your original statement). But hey, I'm ALL FOR fast times and WRs--I love 'em!

Comment

It's easy to make the argument that Coe was a greater 800 guy than the two who beat him for Olympic titles.<<

I think you will find it difficult to mount a convincing argument for Coe being superior to Cruz. Not impossible, but difficult.

Comment

Comment

Kirsner72: Interesting point...which could stimulate an equally interesting debate. In my book, the fact that Cruz never set a WR (although he came mighty close) means that he's a solid notch below Coe on the all-time "greatness" list.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X