Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coe's then record @ 800m, 23 years ago.

You ought to give us a few more Coe memories, Mr. Sussex --

Comment

Oh man, would I have loved to have seen what Juantorena could have really done at the 800m if he had ever trained for it with any seriousness. If you read the chapter in "World's Greatest Athletes" it makes you think he set a world record in the 8 off of primarily 400m training. That's sick.

Comment

Percy Cerutty had all his athletes lifting weights back in the 1950's. I have a picture of Herb Elliott lifting.

Comment

-saying that just b/c coe and or kipketer do not have oly gold in the 8 is like saying that el g is not the greatest miler of all time when we all know that he is the greatest....

kipketer is no. 1 all time 800 w/o a doubt. the times speak for themselvs. rabbits or no rabbits, 7 out of the ten fatest times is exactly what it is.

Comment

percy cerutty was also a nut job for the most part....why do you think that landy and elliott left him?

Comment

I am reading Graeme Sims's bio of Cerutty right now. I'll let you know if it says anything about it.

However, it's worth noting that Landy went on the interval running bandwagon, and Elliott didn't really leave Cerutty, he retired from racing entirely.

Yes, Cerutty was definitely odd, though!

Comment

I am sure he was too much to take, if you were with him. For those simply reading his words from many miles away, he was tremendously inspiring, far from a nut case, urging runners to free themselves in running naturally in a full expression of self, rather than deaden themselves by running robot-like to fixed schedules. The soaring sand dunes and crashing waves of Portsea, and all that. I don't think anyone was preaching what he was at the time, or perhaps even since. Elliott would never have made it without him (and vice versa).

Comment

I went on a training course with Percy in the 60,s.He went out for a 5 mile run in just shorts and shoes-this was at Crystal Palace in London in November!!!!

Comment

A few thoughts on Coe's running.

He did contest championship races-Euros in 78', Olympics, World Cup, there just weren't as many back then. 1983 was the first WC, remember?

He did run GP meets, he was just in the 1500/mile a lot. Probably a $midgeon more motivation there.

That he ran as fast as he did in 1983 is amazing considering his illness.

Comment

Working...
                    X