Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Mel Renfro

In my "favorite trivia" topic I noted that Renfro had a WR plaque in the 4x1. Can you name the other three guys on the team?

Two were NCAA individual champions in two other events each and the third joined Renfro as an all-pro DB with the Cowboys.

--

ps--i won't risk the ire of the board by putting a baseball question up as its own thread, but i heard this gem recently: who's the only guy in major league history to wear his birthday on the back of his uniform?

Re: More Mel Renfro

I don't really know, but I'll go out on a limb and guess one of them was Cornell Green.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

No, but Green is another interesting multi-talent. He didn't even play college football (Utah State) but was a two-time basketball All-America who hooked up with the Cowboys as a free agent.

Comment

I figure that two of the three have to be Jerry Tarr and Harry Jerome, probably a thread unto himself.

Comment

The DB was Mike Gaechter, although I doubt he made all-Pro.

Comment

I don't know where one would find a list of all the allpro teams, but a quick hit on google turned up this quote from Gaechter's hometown paper

<<Gaechter excelled in the NFL, and he was an All-Pro strong safety in 1965.  "It was a nice honor … we had one of the best defenses in the league, which helped me a lot," he said.  >>

Lots of credentials grow in the telling of course.

Comment

Working...
            X