Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dominating national all-time performance lists?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominating national all-time performance lists?

This is a trivia question prompted by Sally Pearson's & Michelle Jenneke's performances recently at the AUS championships: Jenneke's 12.82 puts her #2 a-t performer on AUS 100h list, behind Pearson, of course. And with that significant accomplishment for Jenneke noted, it also is a means to show Pearson's long-term excellence, because Jenneke's 12.82, even while it makes her #2 AUS performer in this event, makes her just =#80 on the performance list.

Can anyone think of any other nation's all-time performer/performance lists (in any event) in which the number of performances by the #1 performer places the #2 performer so far down on the performance list?

After a few minutes thought, I came up with one other obvious example (I am concluding it is obvious, because I was able to think of it): Koji Murofushi is of course #1 on Japan's a-t HT list. The #2 performer, Shigenobu Murofushi, is #126 on the a-t performance list for Japan in this event.

Originally posted by Master Po View Post
    After a few minutes thought, I came up with one other obvious example (I am concluding it is obvious, because I was able to think of it): Koji Murofushi is of course #1 on Japan's a-t HT list. The #2 performer, Shigenobu Murofushi, is #126 on the a-t performance list for Japan in this event.
    Apart from Bubka (noted in the Australian thread), Valerie Adams is somewhere in that ballpark I think. Werner Günthör should also be >80.

Comment

No. 2 on the New Zealand all-time list in SP is 18.03. Without counting, I suspect Adams would actually have more superior performances than Koji Murofushi does to his father's.
      Last edited by Powell; 03-29-2015, 06:54 PM.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Maybe Frankie Fredericks over 200m?

Comment

According to pela's lists, Samuel Matete has 187 performances better than 49.00, and nobody else from Zambia appears on the list. Not sure who is #2 on that list.

I'm pretty sure that Adams can top that. pela's list only goes to 20.00, but Adams has 70 plus competitions over that. Add in ancillary puts, and go down to the low 18s and I'm not sure how many that could be.

Comment

This is a trivia question prompted by Sally Pearson's & Michelle Jenneke's performances recently at the AUS championships: Jenneke's 12.82 puts her #2 a-t performer on AUS 100h list, behind Pearson, of course. And with that significant accomplishment for Jenneke noted, it also is a means to show Pearson's long-term excellence, because Jenneke's 12.82, even while it makes her #2 AUS performer in this event, makes her just =#80 on the performance list.
            I found it interesting that the woman whom Jenneke replaced as #2 all-time AUS performer was Pam Ryan, a two-time Olympic medalist (in the 80 hurdles).

Comment

^ Interesting to me too, to be reminded of her career, and to see that she had been #2. Thanks for the other comments, above -- as I suspected of my sieve-like memory, those are all good examples. Of course I should have at least thought of Val Adams, along with the others.

A quick look at all-athletics.com, and I see that Val Adams has the top 150 performances on NZ's a-t SP list. all-athletics.com goes to 18.00 on that list -- they don't show another athlete with 18.03, but that may well be an oversight, as suggested above. In any case, it's a lot of performances before #2 appears.

Frankie Fredericks is also a good example -- thanks for that one: He has the top 122 performances on Namibia's a-t 200 list. Christie Van Wyk is #2/#123, with a 20.50.
              Last edited by Master Po; 03-29-2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Maria Mutola came to my faulty mind, but that was only because I had forgotten about Tina Paulino, who is #2/#20 on the MOZ a-t 800 list.

Comment

Montsho should also have quite a few; not sure who #2 is.

Comment

Felix Sanchez over 400H? I remember another DOM guy running 49.20 a few years ago, but considering how old Sanchez is, he's gotta have a LOT of sub49 times.

Comment

A quick look at all-athletics.com, and I see that Val Adams has the top 150 performances on NZ's a-t SP list. all-athletics.com goes to 18.00 on that list -- they don't show another athlete with 18.03, but that may well be an oversight, as suggested above.
                      The 18.03 was achieved by Ana Pou'hila in 2008. Actually, I'm not sure of her exact national status - she appears on the NZ all-time list on the national federation's site, but she's listed as Tongan on IAAF/ ATFS Annual lists. If she's excluded, the all-time no. 2 is still Val Young with her 17.26 from 1964.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                        Felix Sanchez over 400H?
                        I thought of Sanchez too. While counting his numbers (82 sub-49), I saw Matete's name so I checked his numbers. Matete is way higher, as I noted above, with 187 sub-49s. No obvious #2 Zambian either.

Comment

In a few years Julius Yego would be a good candidate, he's only been an 80m thrower since 2012, but considering he is the only kenyan javelin thrower worth mentioning almost all his results should be better than anyone else.

It would be interesting to limit the search to top T&F countries only, where a big lead would be more meaningful. Like Russia, US, Germany, France, UK, Italy, etc., and by top countries i mean countries that develop all events.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato View Post
                            I thought of Sanchez too. While counting his numbers (82 sub-49), I saw Matete's name so I checked his numbers. Matete is way higher, as I noted above, with 187 sub-49s. No obvious #2 Zambian either.
                            187 sub-49s is incredible.

Edwin Moses (according to the same source) had 123 sub-49 clockings. Moses and Angelo Taylor combined have 189 sub-49s.

Comment

Edwin Moses and Angelo Taylor combined have four Olympic gold medals, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X